Jan 20, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
Look kids, a trade: Reliever Merkin Valdez was just sent to Toronto for cash considerations. The Giants had DFA’d him to make room for Aubrey Huff.
Hard to believe that he’s only 28, because Valdez — who used to go by the name Manny Mateo — feels like he’s been around for years. I mean, the Braves traded him for Russ Ortiz back when people did things like trade for Russ Ortiz, if that tells you anything. Of course he hadn’t even really pitched yet at that point and the only reason his name sticks out to me — either name — is that I’m a Braves fans and there was a time when I obsessed on Braves prospects even more than I do now. Well, yeah, it also sticks out to me because I’m a man who is a fan of both juvenile humor and Stanley Kubrick movies.
And he was a decent prospect once upon a time. He played in the Futures Game between 2003 and 2005. Reportedly still has a live fastball. If he’s going to stick anywhere it’ll be on a team that is willing to try anything, which is more or less what the Blue Jays are these days.
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 2
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 26
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)