Jan 20, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
Look kids, a trade: Reliever Merkin Valdez was just sent to Toronto for cash considerations. The Giants had DFA’d him to make room for Aubrey Huff.
Hard to believe that he’s only 28, because Valdez — who used to go by the name Manny Mateo — feels like he’s been around for years. I mean, the Braves traded him for Russ Ortiz back when people did things like trade for Russ Ortiz, if that tells you anything. Of course he hadn’t even really pitched yet at that point and the only reason his name sticks out to me — either name — is that I’m a Braves fans and there was a time when I obsessed on Braves prospects even more than I do now. Well, yeah, it also sticks out to me because I’m a man who is a fan of both juvenile humor and Stanley Kubrick movies.
And he was a decent prospect once upon a time. He played in the Futures Game between 2003 and 2005. Reportedly still has a live fastball. If he’s going to stick anywhere it’ll be on a team that is willing to try anything, which is more or less what the Blue Jays are these days.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)