Jan 20, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
Look kids, a trade: Reliever Merkin Valdez was just sent to Toronto for cash considerations. The Giants had DFA’d him to make room for Aubrey Huff.
Hard to believe that he’s only 28, because Valdez — who used to go by the name Manny Mateo — feels like he’s been around for years. I mean, the Braves traded him for Russ Ortiz back when people did things like trade for Russ Ortiz, if that tells you anything. Of course he hadn’t even really pitched yet at that point and the only reason his name sticks out to me — either name — is that I’m a Braves fans and there was a time when I obsessed on Braves prospects even more than I do now. Well, yeah, it also sticks out to me because I’m a man who is a fan of both juvenile humor and Stanley Kubrick movies.
And he was a decent prospect once upon a time. He played in the Futures Game between 2003 and 2005. Reportedly still has a live fastball. If he’s going to stick anywhere it’ll be on a team that is willing to try anything, which is more or less what the Blue Jays are these days.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)