Jan 20, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
I’m not going to go with the easy joke about how the Giants saved the Mets from themselves with respect to Bengie Molina, because as Aaron’s going to say later this morning, that’s not necessarily the case. Short version: it was a bit more complicated than that, with the Mets initially (and laudably) holding the line on Molina’s early demands, and then later just an overall souring of the relationship.
I’m more interested in what the Mets will do at catcher now The New York Times (and a lot of other places) is reporting that Minaya may make an offer to Yorvit Torrealba. Not a bad decision from a baseball perspective I suppose. A curious one for non-baseball reasons, however:
Turning to him would be intriguing, and perhaps costly, because
Torrealba filed a continuing grievance against the Mets after they
backed out of a three-year deal with him two years ago . . . Last month, the Mets and Torrealba attended a hearing on the grievance,
conducted by the baseball arbitrator Shyam Das. A ruling is not
expected for several months.
Parties in litigation are generally encouraged not to talk to each other without counsel present, so if the Mets do sign Torrealba, expect the mound to be crowded with guys with suits and briefcases during pitching changes. A lot of “would you please tell counsel for Mr. Santana that I believe a breaking ball is more appropriate in this situation. Thank you.”
More seriously, though, if the Mets do sign Torrealba, take his contract amount with a grain of salt, because it may contain some settlement dollars.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)