Your pre-arbitration filing deadline signing scoreboard, Part IV

Jan 20, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT

We’re reaching the point where only the true completists among you — the sort of people who are such big Pixies fans, for example, that they bought The Amps’ CD when it came out — will care about these signings. But dadgummit, when I start something I’m going to finish it. Unless I, you know, don’t feel like it.

Anyway, Part I was here, Part II was here, and Part III was here.  Now, once more into the breech!

• Francisco Liriano ($1.6 million), Jessee Crain ( $2 million), Brendan Harris ($3.2 million), Matt Guerrier ($3.15 million) and Pat
    Neshek ($625,000).  Not all of these guys were due for new contracts, actually, it’s just that when the team built the new ballpark one of those fancy automatic signature machines were included and they’re understandably going a bit nuts with it.
  • Mike Napoli and Reggie Willits, Angels, $3.6 million and $625,000, respectively. Willits — who is a fifth outfielder — is lucky he was even tendered.
  • We mentioned Zach Duke yesterday, but now we have the details: $4.3 million. He still hails from parts unknown, however.
  • Mike Adams, Padres, $1 million. Pfun Pfact: Mike Adams is 6’5″ tall and he’s only like the fifth or sixth tallest pitcher on the team.
  • Sean Green, Mets, $975,000. True story: Green scared Omar into this settlement by telling him that he’d easily win his arbitration case, what with those 42 homers he hit for the Dodgers in 2002.  And he negotiated a day off for the El Malaguana holiday to boot.
  • Gerald Laird, Zach Miner, Bobby Seay, Tigers, $3.95 million for Laird, $950,000 for Miner and $2.475 million for Seay. After the Valverde deal I suppose all of these look reasonable to the Tigers.
  • Ramon Ramirez and Manny Delcarmen, Red Sox. $905,000 on Ramirez. Not sure about the money on Delcarmen, but I’m not his wife or accountant so it’s sort of not my problem.
  • Jason Bergmann, Jesus Flores, Wil Nieves and Josh Willingham, Nationals. Willingham will make $4.6 million, Bergmann $750,000. Flores and Nieves will apparently be paid via in-kind services or stock swaps or something.

More may trickle in later today, but I think we’ve done about all we can do with the scoreboard.

1. RoyceTheBaseballHack - Jan 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Dang. $3.95 Million a year for Laird? The guy is good, but..damn.

2. Funzo - Jan 20, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Hey, ya know Pacer’s not a bad album. And I bought it cause I’m a Breeders fan — and will forever be in love with Kim Deal.

3. Chris Simons - Jan 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM

According to The Globe, it is Delcarmen who got the $905,000. Ramirez got a million and change. Pretty reasonable I thought,

4. Huh - Jan 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM

“Dang. $3.95 Million a year for Laird? The guy is good, but..damn.”
    Agreed. Well, except for the “good” part. Laird’s OPS+ last year was a dismal 64 and is only 75 for his career. I think you can sign Barajas for half that amount. Hell, you could non-tender Laird and sign *him* for half that amount.

5. Anon - Jan 20, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Jesse Crain was optioned to AAA last year, and not just for a tune-up. He spent several months there and I’m not sure was any better when he came back. The Twins should have non-tendered him and used the $2 million to address the 3B problem.

6. Anon - Jan 20, 2010 at 12:20 PM

By the way, Craig, The Amps (or, as I like to remember them, Tammy and the Amps) record is quite underrated. You’re not a true Pixies’ completist unless you separate by a degree or two. Say, for example, you’ve seen The Kelly Deal 6000 rock a small club.

7. Old Gator - Jan 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Sean Green in 2002, eh? Well, I did warn you guys in an earlier post today that steriods was just the tip of the iceberg, and that the Commissioner was overseeing an investigation into chicken soup. He will tell you that he had a cold all season, but we didn’t believe McGwire and there’s no reason we should believe Sean Green. He probably even threw some sliced carrots in the pot for a snort of lycopene. To be honest, even though he won’t admit it and can no longer be tested for it, I bet you he even snuck in some tomato soup once in a while; he was just clever enough to limit his lycopene consumption to nights with a gibbous moon.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3864)