Closeout sale on former Mets' outfielders

Jan 21, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT

The Astros have signed Cory Sullivan and the Blue Jays signed Jeremy Reed yesterday, both to minor league deals.  Both Sullivan and Reed played in the Mets’ nightmarish outfield mix last year.

Sullivan once hit two triples in one inning.  It was the first time anyone had done that in over 50 years. In 2007 he lost the Rockies’ starting centerfield job to Willy Tavares, which has to be somewhat humbling.  For his part, Reed was the minor league player of the year in 2003 and was a thrown-in on the J.J. Putz trade. He was also born in San Dimas, California, a city whose name I cannot read without thinking of “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure.”

1. Old Gator - Jan 21, 2010 at 10:05 AM

San Dimas. Wasn’t he the patron saint of two-headed kingsnakes? Or maybe it was giant garter snakes. I’ve really let my beatific history slide recently, but fortunately my herpetology is right up there.
    When do you think the closeout on Mutts general managers will be held?

2. Moses Green - Jan 21, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Are you referring to Omar, the next general manager of the Feesh?

3. Old Gator - Jan 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM

You cannot seriously be suggesting that Geoffrey Loria would buy out his contract, are you?
    Anyway, you’re trying to frighten a guy with a pet rattlesnake and an ex-wife living only 800 miles away with a boogeyman. You ought to know better.
    Now if I heard Loria was in discussions with Isaiah Thomas, I’d be doubling my daily intake of SAM-E.

4. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 21, 2010 at 11:20 AM

What are they doing in Colorado, having a Los Mets reunion.

5. Moses Green - Jan 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Don’t say that out loud – he’s *right behind you*

6. Moses Green - Jan 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Isaiah, that is. FIU’s not far from joeprodolshark, is it?

7. Old Gator - Jan 21, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Well, it’s about halfway cross town going both south and west, so yeah, it’s a stretch. Better yet, it’s completely across town from the American Airlines Arena, or AAA, which is great, ’cause they’re right there to tow the Heat in to the shop every time their wheels come off, like last night. But again, it’s about as far from Isaiah as you can get. A few weeks back I was speculating about the Mayan “basketball” game (of which Mel Gibson proved he was a dilettante by not including in the idiotically named Apocalypto), wherein the captain of the losing team was ritually decapitated to the howls and cheers of the audience, and wondering how one would like to be the captain of such a team whose general manager was Isaiah Thomas. I would really like to remake Hoosiers in Chichen Itza. Wouldn’t you?
    And it’s now Joeprodolsharlife Stadium. Sun Life took a full page ad in today’s Miami Priority Mail Flat Rate Box Stuffer to announce that they had formed a “powerful partnership” (their words) with the Dolfeens and were dedicated to “community service.” Really.

8. Garmin Forerunner 305 review - Jan 22, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4996)