Jan 21, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon I wrote about how the Phillies were sending a scout to Arizona to watch Eric Gagne throw, but now Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the 34-year-old former Cy Young winner also has “tentative workouts planned” for the Rockies, Dodgers, and Blue Jays.
Gagne starred for Los Angeles from 1999-2006 and he’s Canadian, so it’s no surprise that the Dodgers and Blue Jays are interested in taking a look. I’m not sure why the Phillies and Rockies are involved, although presumably they think Gagne may still have a little something left in the tank despite spending last season posting a 4.65 ERA in the independent Can-Am League.
I suppose it doesn’t hurt anything to hop on a plane to Arizona and watch a guy throw a few pitches, but it also doesn’t take a 20-minute workout to know that Gagne is probably done. I’ll be shocked if this all leads to more than a minor-league contract.
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 1
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 12
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)