Jan 21, 2010, 11:45 AM EST
Yesterday afternoon I wrote about how the Phillies were sending a scout to Arizona to watch Eric Gagne throw, but now Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the 34-year-old former Cy Young winner also has “tentative workouts planned” for the Rockies, Dodgers, and Blue Jays.
Gagne starred for Los Angeles from 1999-2006 and he’s Canadian, so it’s no surprise that the Dodgers and Blue Jays are interested in taking a look. I’m not sure why the Phillies and Rockies are involved, although presumably they think Gagne may still have a little something left in the tank despite spending last season posting a 4.65 ERA in the independent Can-Am League.
I suppose it doesn’t hurt anything to hop on a plane to Arizona and watch a guy throw a few pitches, but it also doesn’t take a 20-minute workout to know that Gagne is probably done. I’ll be shocked if this all leads to more than a minor-league contract.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)