Jan 21, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon I wrote about how the Phillies were sending a scout to Arizona to watch Eric Gagne throw, but now Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the 34-year-old former Cy Young winner also has “tentative workouts planned” for the Rockies, Dodgers, and Blue Jays.
Gagne starred for Los Angeles from 1999-2006 and he’s Canadian, so it’s no surprise that the Dodgers and Blue Jays are interested in taking a look. I’m not sure why the Phillies and Rockies are involved, although presumably they think Gagne may still have a little something left in the tank despite spending last season posting a 4.65 ERA in the independent Can-Am League.
I suppose it doesn’t hurt anything to hop on a plane to Arizona and watch a guy throw a few pitches, but it also doesn’t take a 20-minute workout to know that Gagne is probably done. I’ll be shocked if this all leads to more than a minor-league contract.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)