Jan 21, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon I wrote about how the Phillies were sending a scout to Arizona to watch Eric Gagne throw, but now Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the 34-year-old former Cy Young winner also has “tentative workouts planned” for the Rockies, Dodgers, and Blue Jays.
Gagne starred for Los Angeles from 1999-2006 and he’s Canadian, so it’s no surprise that the Dodgers and Blue Jays are interested in taking a look. I’m not sure why the Phillies and Rockies are involved, although presumably they think Gagne may still have a little something left in the tank despite spending last season posting a 4.65 ERA in the independent Can-Am League.
I suppose it doesn’t hurt anything to hop on a plane to Arizona and watch a guy throw a few pitches, but it also doesn’t take a 20-minute workout to know that Gagne is probably done. I’ll be shocked if this all leads to more than a minor-league contract.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 28
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)