Jan 21, 2010, 11:45 AM EST
Yesterday afternoon I wrote about how the Phillies were sending a scout to Arizona to watch Eric Gagne throw, but now Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the 34-year-old former Cy Young winner also has “tentative workouts planned” for the Rockies, Dodgers, and Blue Jays.
Gagne starred for Los Angeles from 1999-2006 and he’s Canadian, so it’s no surprise that the Dodgers and Blue Jays are interested in taking a look. I’m not sure why the Phillies and Rockies are involved, although presumably they think Gagne may still have a little something left in the tank despite spending last season posting a 4.65 ERA in the independent Can-Am League.
I suppose it doesn’t hurt anything to hop on a plane to Arizona and watch a guy throw a few pitches, but it also doesn’t take a 20-minute workout to know that Gagne is probably done. I’ll be shocked if this all leads to more than a minor-league contract.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)