Jan 21, 2010, 3:11 PM EST
MLB.com’s Jason Beck is following the Tigers around on their Winter Caravan (Dearborn! Romulus! Royal Oak!) and just caught up with Miguel Cabrera. Cabrera says that he’s undergone counseling and hasn’t had a drink for three months. More details from James Schmehl of MLive.com:
“When you’ve got problems,” said Cabrera, “you can’t hide. As a ballplayer, you do something like that and you have a problem. I want to play a lot of years and right now I feel
comfortable. I feel great.”
Cabrera said he has not had a drink
since beginning counseling, which will continue with the same doctor
during spring training and the regular season.
Kudos to Cabrera — both for his own health and for the good of the Tigers — if he has truly kicked what seems to be a serious alcohol problem. You’re in Detroit, dude. Stock up on the Faygo Rock & Rye and stay the sober course.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (98)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)