Jan 21, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jason Beck is following the Tigers around on their Winter Caravan (Dearborn! Romulus! Royal Oak!) and just caught up with Miguel Cabrera. Cabrera says that he’s undergone counseling and hasn’t had a drink for three months. More details from James Schmehl of MLive.com:
“When you’ve got problems,” said Cabrera, “you can’t hide. As a ballplayer, you do something like that and you have a problem. I want to play a lot of years and right now I feel
comfortable. I feel great.”
Cabrera said he has not had a drink
since beginning counseling, which will continue with the same doctor
during spring training and the regular season.
Kudos to Cabrera — both for his own health and for the good of the Tigers — if he has truly kicked what seems to be a serious alcohol problem. You’re in Detroit, dude. Stock up on the Faygo Rock & Rye and stay the sober course.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 65
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 66
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29