Jan 21, 2010, 7:57 AM EDT
Dejan is reporting that the deal is finally done. The financial terms are still unknown, but Dejan thinks it will be for around $3 million.
Not to be a big jerk about it or anything, but CTB was the first place that linked these two kids last month when we reported that the Bucs had made Dotel a $3 million offer. Dotel isn’t a big enough fish to warrant one of those “how the deal was made” columns, but I would be curious to see how this all went down because, hey, we were probably right about that.
On a more important note, Dotel is a lock to become the Pirates’ closer given Matt Capps’ departure. Dotel hasn’t closed for a couple of years, but he still strikes out guys at a really healthy clip. For his career he’s got an 3.73 ERA and
83 saves in 122 opportunities. Because the Pirates stink he won’t get as many saves as, say, Fernando Rodney, but I bet he’ll be a better closer, especially on a by-the-dollar basis.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)