Jan 21, 2010, 7:57 AM EDT
Dejan is reporting that the deal is finally done. The financial terms are still unknown, but Dejan thinks it will be for around $3 million.
Not to be a big jerk about it or anything, but CTB was the first place that linked these two kids last month when we reported that the Bucs had made Dotel a $3 million offer. Dotel isn’t a big enough fish to warrant one of those “how the deal was made” columns, but I would be curious to see how this all went down because, hey, we were probably right about that.
On a more important note, Dotel is a lock to become the Pirates’ closer given Matt Capps’ departure. Dotel hasn’t closed for a couple of years, but he still strikes out guys at a really healthy clip. For his career he’s got an 3.73 ERA and
83 saves in 122 opportunities. Because the Pirates stink he won’t get as many saves as, say, Fernando Rodney, but I bet he’ll be a better closer, especially on a by-the-dollar basis.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)