Jan 21, 2010, 7:57 AM EDT
Dejan is reporting that the deal is finally done. The financial terms are still unknown, but Dejan thinks it will be for around $3 million.
Not to be a big jerk about it or anything, but CTB was the first place that linked these two kids last month when we reported that the Bucs had made Dotel a $3 million offer. Dotel isn’t a big enough fish to warrant one of those “how the deal was made” columns, but I would be curious to see how this all went down because, hey, we were probably right about that.
On a more important note, Dotel is a lock to become the Pirates’ closer given Matt Capps’ departure. Dotel hasn’t closed for a couple of years, but he still strikes out guys at a really healthy clip. For his career he’s got an 3.73 ERA and
83 saves in 122 opportunities. Because the Pirates stink he won’t get as many saves as, say, Fernando Rodney, but I bet he’ll be a better closer, especially on a by-the-dollar basis.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 1
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)