Jan 21, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, the Royals and outfielder Rick
Ankiel have agreed to terms on a one-year, $3.25 million contract with a $6 million mutual option for 2011.
Scott Boras strikes again. Ankiel seems like a fine human being and we should all applaud his transformation from headcase pitcher to homer-hitting outfielder, but his days as an effective everyday player are through. The guy has far too many holes in his swing. He hit just .231 last season with a .285 on-base percentage over 404 plate appearances and struck out 99 times. Oh, and he turns 31 this season. To add such a lucrative mutual option was silly, whether or not it’s ever exercised.
Let’s look on the bright side for just a minute, though. Ankiel does boast one of the strongest throwing arms in the league and has compiled decent UZR/150 marks at the corner outfield positions. He has also pieced together a .254/.324/.469 batting line against right-handed pitchers over the last three seasons. If used correctly, maybe — just maybe — he can have a positive impact on the 2010 edition of the Kansas City Royals. It’s not like that offense can get any worse.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)