Jan 21, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, the Royals and outfielder Rick
Ankiel have agreed to terms on a one-year, $3.25 million contract with a $6 million mutual option for 2011.
Scott Boras strikes again. Ankiel seems like a fine human being and we should all applaud his transformation from headcase pitcher to homer-hitting outfielder, but his days as an effective everyday player are through. The guy has far too many holes in his swing. He hit just .231 last season with a .285 on-base percentage over 404 plate appearances and struck out 99 times. Oh, and he turns 31 this season. To add such a lucrative mutual option was silly, whether or not it’s ever exercised.
Let’s look on the bright side for just a minute, though. Ankiel does boast one of the strongest throwing arms in the league and has compiled decent UZR/150 marks at the corner outfield positions. He has also pieced together a .254/.324/.469 batting line against right-handed pitchers over the last three seasons. If used correctly, maybe — just maybe — he can have a positive impact on the 2010 edition of the Kansas City Royals. It’s not like that offense can get any worse.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 0
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 9
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)