Jan 21, 2010, 9:31 AM EST
If you looked washed up when you left baseball in 2008 and are now trying to make a comeback, the Rockies are your huckleberry:
The Rockies signed Payton, who didn’t play in the Majors in 2009, to a
Minor League contract with an invitation to Major League Spring
Training, Rockies player development director Marc Gustafson announced
Gustafson also said the Rockies completed work on a Minor
League deal with catcher Paul Lo Duca, a former All-Star who also
didn’t play in 2009.
When asked about how they’d pay these two, Mr. Gustafson announced that there was plenty of money sitting in the team’s Lehman Brothers account.
Meanwhile, former Rockies outfielder and fellow 2008-idler Preston Wilson sits in a dark room somewhere wondering why he’s chopped liver all of a sudden.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)