Jan 21, 2010, 9:31 AM EST
If you looked washed up when you left baseball in 2008 and are now trying to make a comeback, the Rockies are your huckleberry:
The Rockies signed Payton, who didn’t play in the Majors in 2009, to a
Minor League contract with an invitation to Major League Spring
Training, Rockies player development director Marc Gustafson announced
Gustafson also said the Rockies completed work on a Minor
League deal with catcher Paul Lo Duca, a former All-Star who also
didn’t play in 2009.
When asked about how they’d pay these two, Mr. Gustafson announced that there was plenty of money sitting in the team’s Lehman Brothers account.
Meanwhile, former Rockies outfielder and fellow 2008-idler Preston Wilson sits in a dark room somewhere wondering why he’s chopped liver all of a sudden.
- Report: Mariners break off talks with Robinson Cano after Jay Z “overplayed his hand” 45
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 86
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (99)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (86)