Jan 21, 2010, 9:31 AM EDT
If you looked washed up when you left baseball in 2008 and are now trying to make a comeback, the Rockies are your huckleberry:
The Rockies signed Payton, who didn’t play in the Majors in 2009, to a
Minor League contract with an invitation to Major League Spring
Training, Rockies player development director Marc Gustafson announced
Gustafson also said the Rockies completed work on a Minor
League deal with catcher Paul Lo Duca, a former All-Star who also
didn’t play in 2009.
When asked about how they’d pay these two, Mr. Gustafson announced that there was plenty of money sitting in the team’s Lehman Brothers account.
Meanwhile, former Rockies outfielder and fellow 2008-idler Preston Wilson sits in a dark room somewhere wondering why he’s chopped liver all of a sudden.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 87
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)