Jan 21, 2010, 9:31 AM EDT
If you looked washed up when you left baseball in 2008 and are now trying to make a comeback, the Rockies are your huckleberry:
The Rockies signed Payton, who didn’t play in the Majors in 2009, to a
Minor League contract with an invitation to Major League Spring
Training, Rockies player development director Marc Gustafson announced
Gustafson also said the Rockies completed work on a Minor
League deal with catcher Paul Lo Duca, a former All-Star who also
didn’t play in 2009.
When asked about how they’d pay these two, Mr. Gustafson announced that there was plenty of money sitting in the team’s Lehman Brothers account.
Meanwhile, former Rockies outfielder and fellow 2008-idler Preston Wilson sits in a dark room somewhere wondering why he’s chopped liver all of a sudden.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)