Who has the worst contract in baseball?

Jan 21, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT

Matthew Carruth at FanGraphs wants you to vote on it.  His candidates: Barry Zito, Alfonso Soriano, Vernon Wells, or the write-in candidate of your choice. I think I’ll write in FOX’s broadcast contract with Major League Baseball, though in that case neither of the parties to the deal are its biggest victims.

If we limit it to ballplayers I don’t think I can top Matthew’s triumvirate. Soriano’s is probably the worst. Yeah,  Zito’s is bad, but he’s at least he’ll take the ball every fifth day and give you average production. Wells may be just as bad as Soriano’s I suppose, but at least he’s a couple of years younger. I dunno, they’re all dogs.

Most of all, I’m having a hard time getting my head around the fact that teams used to give out contracts like that to players no one ever believed to be the best at their position at any given time.

1. willmose - Jan 21, 2010 at 3:06 PM

A-Rod, nobody else is even close. Eight more years at 27.5+ million and a hip that won’t last another 6 months. Do the math.

2. AJ Gallo - Jan 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Man oh man, there are just so many to choose from. I’ll say one thing before I add my vote; reading all of the above posts, it’s very gratifying to see that not all of the honestly bad contracts in MLB were handed out by the Yankees. And I’ll cast my vote for Barry Zito.

3. JeffH - Jan 21, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Magglio Ordonez deserves a mention.

4. Jon C - Jan 21, 2010 at 4:03 PM

How about Carlos Silva? I mean he spent the entire season last year on the DL, and pulled down $12 million. The Mariners decided to trade him to the Cubs, even though they’ll still be paying the bulk of his salary. At least Bavasi isn’t around Seattle to spend like a drunken sailor any more!

5. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 21, 2010 at 4:23 PM

You are the worst Met fan ever, they should never let you into
    Citi field ever, dispicable. Next you will complain about the
    Latin Players, as if there is a better option out there.
    People like you should not be allowed to watch baseball because you don’t have a idea what your watching.

6. herb buchsbaum - Jan 21, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST LATIN PLAYERS, YOU MUST ADMIT PEREZ IS NOT CY YOUNG MATERIAL & CASTILLO IS WASHED UP. HAVE YOU BEEN TO CITIFIELD OR SHEA, HAVE YOU HEARD THE FANS BOO BOTH OF THEM. I AM A SUPPORTIVE FAN, BUT I HATE THE WILPON’S MISMANAGEMENT.

7. herb buchsbaum - Jan 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM

YOU MUST ADMIT THE METS ARE STUCK WITH CASTILLO’S CONTRACT & NO TEAM WANTS HIM, I WANTED THE METS TO EAT HIS CONTRACT & SIGN ORLANDO HUDSON.

8. SabeanIsAnIdiot - Jan 21, 2010 at 5:08 PM

The worst contracts are all on the Giants.
    Zito – 7yr/126M = 18-20M per year for below average performances.
    Rowand – 5yr/60M = 12M per year for extremely poor hitting once he quit juicing.
    Renteria – 2yr/18.5M with 2011/10.5M club option
    41M per year for 3 terrible players. Sabean is an idiot.

9. seattle.fan - Jan 21, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Carlos Silva has the worst contract in baseball. He is severely overpaid and I speak for all Mariner fans when I say “thank you” to Chicago for taking him off of our hands.

10. Baseball Fan in Mich - Jan 21, 2010 at 5:37 PM

To Seattle Fan………..Mariners did Cubs a favor by taking Milton Bradley, who is a cancer no matter what the contract is. Can’t put a price tag on disharmony in the clubhouse.

11. TheJekyl - Jan 21, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Carl Pavano – 4yrs/$40M … and he pitched in what, 3 games?

12. mitrst.23 - Jan 21, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Carlos Silva. Period. $48M over four years. The guy is paid too much to be sent down and doesn’t give you any production when he is up. He is the kind of pitcher opposing managers pray will come into the game. Bradley is at least gets on base and does work when he isn’t injured.

13. A's Fan - Jan 21, 2010 at 5:57 PM

No one is remembering Eric Chavez – 6 years and $66 million with most of the last five on the DL. It’s pretty obvious that Chavez, a shortstop, built himself up with steroids to be able to hit 25 plus homers and then had a shoulder totally rip apart. Thank you legacy of the Bash Brothers. Considering when this deal was signed it was a lot of money and has pretty much weighed down what little payroll ownership gave Beane to work with.
    One more thing: Beane’s trade of Andre Ethier for Milton Bradley ranks as the WORST in modern memory. Moneyball, bah !

14. Deese Knutts - Jan 21, 2010 at 7:46 PM

How about Manny “Female Hormones” Ramirez? He really didn’t do much after he was failed drug testing. Big Papi was another one who’s numbers plummeted after his name was mentioned with the juice.

15. Chuck - Jan 21, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Ok, Mike Hampton’s contract was SO bad that it had a clause in it that whichever team was the last one holding it had to pay him $200,000 a year for 20 years. His agent should get an award for that robbery. Good thing his kids got an education in CO, like he claimed played a factor in his decision. Please Mike.
    Gary Matthews Jr should be put in jail for ripping off the Angels for $50M. He played almost as much as me. HR’s in Arlington should not be counted, especially when added to HGH. Do you hear me A-Roid and Pudge?
    Honorable mention is Adrian Beltre and Eric Gagne.

16. lee - Jan 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I’d go with 30 million for Milton Bradley. 10 million a year for a cancer. Not me.

17. AR - Jan 21, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Alex Roriguez $33 Mill, Carlos Beltran $19 Mill, Derek Lowe $15 Mill, and several Cubs, Mets, and Astros depending on if or when they come back from injurys. Plus many of the aformentioned names.

18. BB - Jan 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Magglio O. for the Tigers.
    Getting $18 million from the Tigers this year. Verlander gets paid $3 million?

19. TomTom - Jan 22, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Don’t forget about Freddy Sanchez who’s about to start the season on the DL after *JUST* getting a 12mil extension from the Giants at the end of last season.

20. Ron - Jan 22, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Fools Fools Alex has won MVP in New York and last year was probably the best player in the Post Season for NY. Only Sabathia is in the argument.
    Also Alex will not need any further surgery on the hip in the off season a sure sign that he is healthy again.
    Watch out boys………….Here come the Yankees again.
    be Araid Be very Afraid…….108 wins east title and number 28
    and back to back titles.

21. Oldtimer - Jan 22, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Everyone mentioned in this blog is probably deserving of a vote for worst contract. However, Jose Guillen is making 12 mill per for doing absolutely nothing. Since he got off the juice, he can’t run, hit and can only barely throw, if he ever gets to a ball to throw. Add to that, he doesn’t even want to play, he just likes to get paid.

22. Drewshan - Jan 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM

They actually sell season tickets. WOW!!!

23. Cardsfan - Jan 22, 2010 at 2:05 PM

It helps when you have a pitching coach that actually knows what he’s doing. Suppan was an average pitcher when he came to the Cardinals, Duncan made him better. Now he is back to being average or maybe even being under average.

24. norcal - Jan 22, 2010 at 3:47 PM

I would have to agree with AJ Gallo..Zito by far..the guy pitches what 5-6 times a month and he gets some crazy amount like $60,000.00 an inning or something crazy like that..he had one good year in Oakland and the Giants pay this guy all of this money, SF is a small market, so this guy takes up about 20-25% of the payroll..how can it get worse than that???

25. em - Jan 22, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Jason Schmidt – 3 years, $47 million

All the trade deadline news to know