Jan 21, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Matthew Carruth at FanGraphs wants you to vote on it. His candidates: Barry Zito, Alfonso Soriano, Vernon Wells, or the write-in candidate of your choice. I think I’ll write in FOX’s broadcast contract with Major League Baseball, though in that case neither of the parties to the deal are its biggest victims.
If we limit it to ballplayers I don’t think I can top Matthew’s triumvirate. Soriano’s is probably the worst. Yeah, Zito’s is bad, but he’s at least he’ll take the ball every fifth day and give you average production. Wells may be just as bad as Soriano’s I suppose, but at least he’s a couple of years younger. I dunno, they’re all dogs.
Most of all, I’m having a hard time getting my head around the fact that teams used to give out contracts like that to players no one ever believed to be the best at their position at any given time.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 20
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 217
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (217)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)