Jan 21, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
Matthew Carruth at FanGraphs wants you to vote on it. His candidates: Barry Zito, Alfonso Soriano, Vernon Wells, or the write-in candidate of your choice. I think I’ll write in FOX’s broadcast contract with Major League Baseball, though in that case neither of the parties to the deal are its biggest victims.
If we limit it to ballplayers I don’t think I can top Matthew’s triumvirate. Soriano’s is probably the worst. Yeah, Zito’s is bad, but he’s at least he’ll take the ball every fifth day and give you average production. Wells may be just as bad as Soriano’s I suppose, but at least he’s a couple of years younger. I dunno, they’re all dogs.
Most of all, I’m having a hard time getting my head around the fact that teams used to give out contracts like that to players no one ever believed to be the best at their position at any given time.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)