Are you Old School or are you new school?

Jan 22, 2010, 9:32 AM EDT

Are you a fan of old school baseball? New school? Were you even aware that there are many, many other schools to which you could belong?

Confused? You won’t be if you check out Jason’s excellent and extensive analysis of what it truly means to be “___ school.

I’m disappointed, however, that Jason did not include Jeffery Leonard’s flap-down home run trot in “old school.”  That’s a classic, and classics never go out of style.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM

This posting was a ton of fun to put together. I could have gone on and spent pages per “school” and loaded pictures for each example… but that’d take days and I’m not that patient.
    Thanks for sharing it, though.

2. Andy H - Jan 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I think I’m middle school, with some new school tendencies.

3. Jonny5 - Jan 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I love the Nolan Ryan line……. Too funny, and too true, what a badass!

4. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 22, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Dude, I told you yesterday, Cadillac…….. I’m gonna call in Moe the Bartender from the Simpsons to stuff sausages down ya throat and sic starving dogs up their butt,now get it straight!
    – just kidding

5. Will - Jan 22, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Old to middle school for me. No showboating unless you want to get plunked at your next at-bat.

6. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 22, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I bet it is ok for pitchers to PUMP their fists ……….
    but no Manny Cadillacin, NOT NICE :-(

7. Old Gator - Jan 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I started out at Morse Science High, where I learned how to sterilize wounds with peroxide and amputate fingers with a Yakuza knife, but when Peorgie and Mudhead graduated ahead of me, I got sent to the Black Arts magnet school at Commie Martyr’s High. I would barf every time I had to pith a chicken in the bio lab, so they transferred me to Miami Beach High (AKA “Pot Head High” in 1968), where I learned how to roll a good, tight joint. Only one of the skills I have mentioned acquiring above still proves useful to me. Guess which one?

8. YANKEES1996 - Jan 22, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Great article, I enjoyed it throughly. If I had been asked prior to reading it I would have believed that I was “Oldest School” especially after hearing my oldest son talk and give me a bad time. As it turns out I think I am simply “Old School” with a touch of “Middle School”. I will have my oldest son read it and tell me what he thinks, he probably believes I am so old none of the categories will apply to me.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2790)