A's prospect Grant Desme is leaving baseball for the priesthood

Jan 22, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT

FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that A’s outfield prospect Grant Desme is retiring from baseball at age 23 “in order to pursue the priesthood.” Seriously.
Baseball America recently ranked Desme as the team’s eighth-best prospect following a breakout season that saw him hit .288/.365/.568 with 31 homers and 40 steals in 131 games between two levels of Single-A. He followed that up by winning MVP honors in the Arizona Fall League and may have been in the A’s plans as soon as the second half of this season, so obviously this news comes as quite a shock.
This is sure to be a touchy subject, so I’ll just say this: Desme’s potential as a baseball player has never looked better and at best you can only play baseball until you’re about 40 years old, so retiring at age 23 to pursue something that can be a lifelong endeavor seems … odd.

1. JoeT - Jan 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Are you on crack.

2. Bettye Bloch - Jan 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.

3. Old Gator - Jan 24, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Au contraire, you can make fun of them and ought to do so at every opportunity. I never miss a chance. I often think that in evolutionary terms, this starcrossed species of ours came to a moment of decision a few million years ago and completely blew it: we gave up our prehensile tails and kept our supersitions.

4. MLB headlines - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.

5. Biswrest - Feb 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM

You can only be divinely happy unless you do the will of God! Grant must have been called to the seminary, its fantastic he is doing God’s will. If you find it odd that he is turning down fame and fortune to enter the seminary maybe you should call him up and see what youre missing out!

6. Short - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I dont agree with you What’s the difference between Margaret Thatcher and Edwina Currie?

7. Mustafa Eugene Equity - Mar 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

8. Linda S. Calculator - Mar 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Today’s subliminal message is . . .

9. Maria M. Loan - Mar 5, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Very interesting topic will bookmark your site to check if you write more about in the future. But God is truely wise…

Ace-killer Giants do it again