Jan 22, 2010, 11:20 AM EST
I heard someone say the other day that if they remade “Back to the Future” today, Marty McFly would only go back to 1980. I’m not sure anything has made me feel as old as that in some time, but this comes close:
As soon as Vizquel steps onto the field in 2010, he will become one of
a select few MLB players to play in four separate decades . . .Vizquel, Jamie Moyer and Ken Griffey Jr. are all under contract for
next season, making them all but locks to join the club. Two others
searching for contracts — John Smoltz and Gary Sheffield — are likely
to do the same.
An Ohio State sweatshirt I wore just yesterday joined the four-decade club this month as well. I’ve driven a car and kissed a girl and drank a beer in four different decades too. I still call Griffey “Kid” sometimes.
I think I’m going spend a lot of the day staring out a window wondering where time has gone.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)