Jan 22, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Going from the totally wacky in Mets land to the fairly reasonable, the Mets are reported interested in Ben Sheets and Chien-Ming Wang. Unlike the Matthews move, this should be encouraging for Mets fans. Health will determine how far well lineup fares in 2010, and there’s a not a lot the team can do about it given what remains in the marketplace. The team still can fix its biggest problem, however, and that’s the lack of anything approaching pitching depth past Johan Santana.
Sheets is no guarantee. Wang is even more of reach, and one that won’t even be able to pitch for a few months. But nothing else is guaranteed for this Mets team,and to make the playoffs they’ll need a bunch of good things to happen anyway. With nothing to lose but a few million bucks, why not roll the dice on these guys?
As for the headline, Will Carroll characterized it the best so I won’t even try.
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins