Jan 22, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Going from the totally wacky in Mets land to the fairly reasonable, the Mets are reported interested in Ben Sheets and Chien-Ming Wang. Unlike the Matthews move, this should be encouraging for Mets fans. Health will determine how far well lineup fares in 2010, and there’s a not a lot the team can do about it given what remains in the marketplace. The team still can fix its biggest problem, however, and that’s the lack of anything approaching pitching depth past Johan Santana.
Sheets is no guarantee. Wang is even more of reach, and one that won’t even be able to pitch for a few months. But nothing else is guaranteed for this Mets team,and to make the playoffs they’ll need a bunch of good things to happen anyway. With nothing to lose but a few million bucks, why not roll the dice on these guys?
As for the headline, Will Carroll characterized it the best so I won’t even try.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 9
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 42
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 61
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)