Jan 22, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Going from the totally wacky in Mets land to the fairly reasonable, the Mets are reported interested in Ben Sheets and Chien-Ming Wang. Unlike the Matthews move, this should be encouraging for Mets fans. Health will determine how far well lineup fares in 2010, and there’s a not a lot the team can do about it given what remains in the marketplace. The team still can fix its biggest problem, however, and that’s the lack of anything approaching pitching depth past Johan Santana.
Sheets is no guarantee. Wang is even more of reach, and one that won’t even be able to pitch for a few months. But nothing else is guaranteed for this Mets team,and to make the playoffs they’ll need a bunch of good things to happen anyway. With nothing to lose but a few million bucks, why not roll the dice on these guys?
As for the headline, Will Carroll characterized it the best so I won’t even try.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 9
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 9
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)