Jan 22, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Going from the totally wacky in Mets land to the fairly reasonable, the Mets are reported interested in Ben Sheets and Chien-Ming Wang. Unlike the Matthews move, this should be encouraging for Mets fans. Health will determine how far well lineup fares in 2010, and there’s a not a lot the team can do about it given what remains in the marketplace. The team still can fix its biggest problem, however, and that’s the lack of anything approaching pitching depth past Johan Santana.
Sheets is no guarantee. Wang is even more of reach, and one that won’t even be able to pitch for a few months. But nothing else is guaranteed for this Mets team,and to make the playoffs they’ll need a bunch of good things to happen anyway. With nothing to lose but a few million bucks, why not roll the dice on these guys?
As for the headline, Will Carroll characterized it the best so I won’t even try.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 6
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 28
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (186)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)