Jan 22, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Going from the totally wacky in Mets land to the fairly reasonable, the Mets are reported interested in Ben Sheets and Chien-Ming Wang. Unlike the Matthews move, this should be encouraging for Mets fans. Health will determine how far well lineup fares in 2010, and there’s a not a lot the team can do about it given what remains in the marketplace. The team still can fix its biggest problem, however, and that’s the lack of anything approaching pitching depth past Johan Santana.
Sheets is no guarantee. Wang is even more of reach, and one that won’t even be able to pitch for a few months. But nothing else is guaranteed for this Mets team,and to make the playoffs they’ll need a bunch of good things to happen anyway. With nothing to lose but a few million bucks, why not roll the dice on these guys?
As for the headline, Will Carroll characterized it the best so I won’t even try.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (111)