Jan 22, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
Mr. Busch is part of the family that founded Anheuser-Busch, which in turn owned the Cardinals until the year before Mark McGwire came to town. I suppose that entitles him to speak out just as much as anyone else:
“McGwire has chosen to come out of the closet at the perfect time –
alongside a manager who also refuses to be honest, to the fans or to
the game itself,” Busch IV said. “After all, why would Tony La Russa
hire a hitting coach whose lifetime batting average was only .263?. He was paid millions while perpetrating a fraud.”
He’s certainly not alone in that sentiment, and I’m glad that he includes La Russa here, because no one else seems to want to.
Still, while McGwire may have been millions while perpetrating a fraud relating to his home runs, the Busch family has been paid billions while perpetrating the fraud that that stuff they put in those red, white and blue cans is actually beer.
I eagerly await my apology.
NOTE: As was pointed out in the comments, it was Adolphus Busch IV, not August Busch IV who issued the statements on McGwire. For what it’s worth, the original story I linked reported it was August (and still says it). Apologies to August Busch for crediting this b.s. to him. He and his family are not off the hook for the crappy beer, however.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 0
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)