Jan 22, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
Mr. Busch is part of the family that founded Anheuser-Busch, which in turn owned the Cardinals until the year before Mark McGwire came to town. I suppose that entitles him to speak out just as much as anyone else:
“McGwire has chosen to come out of the closet at the perfect time –
alongside a manager who also refuses to be honest, to the fans or to
the game itself,” Busch IV said. “After all, why would Tony La Russa
hire a hitting coach whose lifetime batting average was only .263?. He was paid millions while perpetrating a fraud.”
He’s certainly not alone in that sentiment, and I’m glad that he includes La Russa here, because no one else seems to want to.
Still, while McGwire may have been millions while perpetrating a fraud relating to his home runs, the Busch family has been paid billions while perpetrating the fraud that that stuff they put in those red, white and blue cans is actually beer.
I eagerly await my apology.
NOTE: As was pointed out in the comments, it was Adolphus Busch IV, not August Busch IV who issued the statements on McGwire. For what it’s worth, the original story I linked reported it was August (and still says it). Apologies to August Busch for crediting this b.s. to him. He and his family are not off the hook for the crappy beer, however.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 25
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)