Jan 22, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
Mr. Busch is part of the family that founded Anheuser-Busch, which in turn owned the Cardinals until the year before Mark McGwire came to town. I suppose that entitles him to speak out just as much as anyone else:
“McGwire has chosen to come out of the closet at the perfect time –
alongside a manager who also refuses to be honest, to the fans or to
the game itself,” Busch IV said. “After all, why would Tony La Russa
hire a hitting coach whose lifetime batting average was only .263?. He was paid millions while perpetrating a fraud.”
He’s certainly not alone in that sentiment, and I’m glad that he includes La Russa here, because no one else seems to want to.
Still, while McGwire may have been millions while perpetrating a fraud relating to his home runs, the Busch family has been paid billions while perpetrating the fraud that that stuff they put in those red, white and blue cans is actually beer.
I eagerly await my apology.
NOTE: As was pointed out in the comments, it was Adolphus Busch IV, not August Busch IV who issued the statements on McGwire. For what it’s worth, the original story I linked reported it was August (and still says it). Apologies to August Busch for crediting this b.s. to him. He and his family are not off the hook for the crappy beer, however.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 167
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 134
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (171)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (137)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)