Jan 22, 2010, 1:20 PM EST
Mr. Busch is part of the family that founded Anheuser-Busch, which in turn owned the Cardinals until the year before Mark McGwire came to town. I suppose that entitles him to speak out just as much as anyone else:
“McGwire has chosen to come out of the closet at the perfect time -
alongside a manager who also refuses to be honest, to the fans or to
the game itself,” Busch IV said. “After all, why would Tony La Russa
hire a hitting coach whose lifetime batting average was only .263?. He was paid millions while perpetrating a fraud.”
He’s certainly not alone in that sentiment, and I’m glad that he includes La Russa here, because no one else seems to want to.
Still, while McGwire may have been millions while perpetrating a fraud relating to his home runs, the Busch family has been paid billions while perpetrating the fraud that that stuff they put in those red, white and blue cans is actually beer.
I eagerly await my apology.
NOTE: As was pointed out in the comments, it was Adolphus Busch IV, not August Busch IV who issued the statements on McGwire. For what it’s worth, the original story I linked reported it was August (and still says it). Apologies to August Busch for crediting this b.s. to him. He and his family are not off the hook for the crappy beer, however.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)