Quote of the Day: Adolphus Busch IV*

Jan 22, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT

Mr. Busch is part of the family that founded Anheuser-Busch, which in turn owned the Cardinals until the year before Mark McGwire came to town. I suppose that entitles him to speak out just as much as anyone else:

“McGwire has chosen to come out of the closet at the perfect time -
alongside a manager who also refuses to be honest, to the fans or to
the game itself,” Busch IV said. “After all, why would Tony La Russa
hire a hitting coach whose lifetime batting average was only .263?.  He was paid millions while perpetrating a fraud.”

He’s certainly not alone in that sentiment, and I’m glad that he includes La Russa here, because no one else seems to want to.

Still, while McGwire may have been millions while perpetrating a fraud relating to his home runs, the Busch family has been paid billions while perpetrating the fraud that that stuff they put in those red, white and blue cans is actually beer.

I eagerly await my apology.

NOTE: As was pointed out in the comments, it was Adolphus Busch IV, not August Busch IV who issued the statements on McGwire.  For what it’s worth, the original story I linked reported it was August (and still says it).  Apologies to August Busch for crediting this b.s. to him. He and his family are not off the hook for the crappy beer, however.

1. Alex K - Jan 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM

It’s all about pretty much anything from the Magic Hat Brewing Company for me. I’m learning to love Sam Adams too, just not the Cherry Wheat.

2. brad - Jan 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Outstanding reporting here. The quote is actually from ADOLPHUS Busch IV…..the estranged uncle of August.

3. M - Jan 22, 2010 at 7:53 PM

As has already been pointed out, Craig Calcaterra seems to have failed to read his source on this story… it’s Adolphus.
    Wrong Busch, dude… you should probably issue an apology.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I’ve corrected the error. For what it’s worth, it wasn’t my failure of reading the source story that led to the error. It was the fact that the source story wrote — and still has — the quotes attributable to Augustus Busch. Sorry for passing along the error.

5. Thumper - Jan 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Framboise Lambic Ale – for having many splendid moments in your life (cool Little Feat tune about a rocket or something, playing in the night air at the outdoor cafe you settled on, 14% alcohol, and goes down so smooth you won’t know what hit you, till you wake up the next day and have no idea where your pants are, cause they definitely not on the ground). There are also over 15000 kinds of beers made in Belgium, many great selections there. Too many to choose in fact. But Framboise Lambic rocks! Rating: 5 mugs, 5 steins, and “how much is the air fare to Brussels again?”
    Newcastle Brown Ale – excellent with food, my choice for a night out with seafood (well, at least when it comes by the bushel. And ya all talkin sacriledge about Maryland Blues with anything other than drawn buttah and billy clubs. Maryland style, baby). Guinness and Bass are wonderful for stout, northern ales, but for a light, tasty, ale good with seafood, try the Newcastle. Good with hammas and pate, too, if you’re into that kind of thing. Rating: 5 mugs, 4 steins, and “Waiter, another bushel please. And more Brownies for all my friends”.
    Warsteiner – cannot go wrong with anything from Warsteiner (they cover all the main german styles and export to the US). But German beer is so diverse, why limit yourselves. Great styles from the Bocks to Pilsners to Weiss to the Wheats. So many great styles, so many fine breweries. So little time. For a neat twist, try Berliner Kindl Weiss. Very unique, good with food. Don’t put the fruity stuff in it, just man up, and drink it straight. Yum. Spaten Oktoberfest is a fine choice, too (only available in fall though). For a fine Bock, try Einbecker Ur-bock. Rating: 5 mugs, 5 steins, and a lifelong appreciation for the finer points of alcoholism and singing poorly in public.
    Budweiser???? (is THAT even beer) — we used to call it Bushwater beer. I knew this babe way back who used to slug down Bud Lights just so she could skinny out of her leg warmers, pay homage to the moonlight, and light up her Bud Light byproducts. Charming really. Incredible blue streaks of flame. Well, till that night she backdrafted. There’s only one thing you can say about Tina that night. Go figure. Rating: 1/2 mug, 5 Beanos, and “living to regret it, while wondering why your cousin suddenly looks good”.
    Ah, good beer, maryland blues, and good times (well, except that nasty Bud business really). Damn, I’m hungry now.
    After this, surely Bud will want to cover this testimonial during the World Series. Who should we get to play Tina?

6. Old Gator - Jan 23, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Three cheers for any booster of Framboise (raspberry) lambic ale. Great stuff, and of a chemical complexity (free brewed with wild yeast and anything else that blows in from the woods) to keep the inquisitive palate occupied ad infinitum.
    But one must not forget that you can make a great adult ice cream soda with that stuff – just pour it into a tall glass with a couple of scoops of Cherry Garcia lowfat yogurt or Haagen-Dasz Special Reserve Pomegranate Chip ice cream and you are instantly a twelve-year-old with progeria.

7. The Rabbit - Jan 23, 2010 at 3:10 AM

Love Framboise lambic ale (and Belgian lambics, I may add) and have been unable to find any of the aforementioned since I relocated from the east coast.
    I will pay a premium for anyone willing to ship it.

8. Thumper - Jan 23, 2010 at 12:20 PM

@The Rabbit
    Belgian beer is one of the best kept secrets (like their chocolate really. Sure Neuhaus, but there is so much more). Have you checked for the lambic in the wine speciality shops in your area? Because of its alcohol content, it’s taxed/tariffed as a wine in the US. We get it here occasionally in the wine stores, but its never on a regular basis, and it sells out quickly. I can get it in the city, but haven’t been up that way in quite awhile. I don’t know if you tryed this, but: If you are near a chain, wine shop, sometimes they will bring it to your store (from within their chain if anybody has stock, like having a case moved from Aspen to Ft. Collins) Worth a shot. May have to buy extra doing that though, and lambic can get expensive. They could at least pin down the closest stock near you.
    @Old Gator
    The H-D pomegrante sounds great (and marvelously decadent). Wouldn’t drink too many of those in a night though (exactly 1, lol). Too much sugar makes Thumper’s head go boom-boom-boom the next day, lol. Like finishing off a night of Tequila shots by downing several Sunrises (not smart). But you’re right on the money about the ingredients, thats why its labeled with windage on alcohol content, as only God knows what you’re gonna get, LOL. Still the real champagne of ales though. If only Miller could produce at the same level, they would more deserve that fancy script spiraling around the neck of their bottles.

9. The Rabbit - Jan 23, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I happen to live in the middle of the Ozark Mountains approximately 125 miles from a town of any size. (210 miles to St. Louis) Surprisingly, we actually have a wine shop in my small town that actually carries some very good wines; however, according to the owner, it is limited to whatever the regional distributors handle. Lambics were not on the list.
    The shop owner tries to be very accommodating so either there are some very strange liquor laws here in Missouri(and elsewhere, I may add)or I have been misinformed by the shop’s owner.
    There’s also a pretty good little winery just outside of Columbus, OH in Craig’s neck of the woods. I tried to get some dessert wines shipped either directly to me or to the local wine shop. The winery was not permitted to ship out of state.
    I’ll have to stock up when I go back home to Boston and Philadelphia this spring.

10. Thumper - Jan 23, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Have you checked/called around the Branson area? Maybe the White River resort area, too…
    The Wine Company in the Branson area might have it, they claim to carry fine ales (they even have premium cigars in a walk-in humidor). I cannot see their product list on the internet though.
    Phone: 417-334-4551
    Palate, in Branson, might have it (they ship through the mail, too. So, big + there). They have a nice wine list, but they don’t advertise ales on the internet. They carry this: “Louis Jadot Le Montrachet Grand Cru 1999″, so they aren’t run of the mill. They also stock Louis Roederer Cristal Champagne. A bit high on price, but they sell it… Chateau Latour 2005, too (but @$1000+ per bottle, with a 6 bottle minimum). So, it’s a decent shop (pricey though). That’s my “Three Louis” test (Jadot, Latour, Roederer) for whether a shop is in the ballpark, LOL.
    Phone: 417-335-CORK(2675)
    Web: http://www.palateonline.com/Default.aspx
    Hope that helps.

11. JOHN - Jan 24, 2010 at 10:19 AM

WHERE DO THE BEER OR WINE OR SPIRITS SNOBS GET OFF ALL THESE OFF THE WALL CRAPPY BEERS & WINES THAT THEY THINK IS GREAT MAYBE THEY ACTUALLY LIKE THE STUFF AND GOOD FOR THEM !! IF I BUY A BEER AND DON’T LIKE IT I HAVE OUR HOSTESS POUR IT OUT AND I BUY SOMETHING ELSE AND TRUST ME I HAVE HAD SOME OF THESE SO-CALLED SNOBBY BEERS POURED OUT BECAUSE I DON’T CARE WHAT IT COSTS IF I DON’T LIKE IT IT IS DOWN THE DRAIN EVEN IF IT IS PRICEY AND STYLISH.

12. The Rabbit - Jan 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I’m 2 hours from Branson but I do go to a spa there once a month. Thanks for the sites. I’ll check them out on my next trip.
    Yowser on the Chateau Latour prices…If I had $6,000 lying around, I’d rather finish the engine rebuild and custom work on my motorcycle.

13. Thumper - Jan 26, 2010 at 5:59 PM

What I do in a new store is find the big hitters from the 3 vineyards I mentioned , then, start shopping for bargains (sorta like scouting the Indians farm system). It’s always worked out well for me. Latour and Jadot both make a nice range of wines (although with Latour it’s getting harder to find). Make really nice gifts too, if you can find the bargains. When somebody is just starting out or is buying a gift for a wine lover and asks for advise, I always tell them: “You cannot go wrong with Louis Jadot”. Lots of varietals and priced from $10-300+ a bottle. You can someimes pick them out of the bargain bins for under 10 a bottle, too. Nice first French vineyard to learn.
    The le Montrachet Grand Cru is one I’d consider, but for Grand Cru dry white I prefer Corton-Charlemange. The 1983 was incredible. The grapes grow on top of a single hill in the Burgundy region and only 300k bottles are made a year. I’ve had many fine meals in the past, starting with bisque, seafood appetizers, and a nice bottle of Corton-Charlemange on ice, before getting serious with the entree. Good memories. (Palate failed this test, the one I call the Happy Test, LOL. But that Montrachet is a decent fallback for the Charlemange in a pinch).
    The Roederer Cristal tells us whether the store serves the high end, “cash to burn” market. I personally think Cristal is expensive and over-hyped (it’s popularity seemed to rise out of the “after midnight” clubs in Europe in the 80s, where its nothing to get a $5000+ bill for the night per person). I would buy Taitinger or something from Moet-Chandon long before I dropped extra money on Cristal. And Euro champagne ladies are cynical nutbusters, there to only sell more Cristal. Hookers for the house, really. Evil bitches, all of them, so beware, even if they are the finest damned things you ever layed your eyes on. Sort of like a Yankees lineup, makes you drool, but can’t touch this (for less than $200MM/year, lol).
    Cristal is decent, but is it really worth the extra money over an equal bottle of Dom? Market says yes, I say not for me, lol. Agassi was wrong, image blows. Good product at a fair price is what rocks. So, PDiddly can have all the Cristal at $800 a bottle (envision $100s burning up in smoke or Mets management stocking the team for another year). I’ll take the Dom at 175 every single time. He may get 9 out of 10 women with the Cristal, but the one who knows Dom is a better wine, and far cheaper, is the girl for me, baby. Sort of like Billy Beane pouring over lifetime stat sheets really, looking for a deal, lol.
    Basically, though, I’ve almost always found the lambic near jazz or theater hounds. So, Branson fits the pattern (targets the Nashville and Vegas crowds). It’s gotta be there somewhere.
    Cheers Rabbit. Hope you find the lambic. If you do, drink one for me!
    PS did you like my tie-ins to baseball, so as not to totally derail this thread? LOL.

14. Stu - Jan 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Just a quick note that the comment above from Bert Hermanus about how your website looks in Firfox on Ubuntu is actually spam. I got exactly the same comment on my blog.
    Cheers,