Quote of the Day: Adolphus Busch IV*

Jan 22, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT

Mr. Busch is part of the family that founded Anheuser-Busch, which in turn owned the Cardinals until the year before Mark McGwire came to town. I suppose that entitles him to speak out just as much as anyone else:

“McGwire has chosen to come out of the closet at the perfect time -
alongside a manager who also refuses to be honest, to the fans or to
the game itself,” Busch IV said. “After all, why would Tony La Russa
hire a hitting coach whose lifetime batting average was only .263?.  He was paid millions while perpetrating a fraud.”

He’s certainly not alone in that sentiment, and I’m glad that he includes La Russa here, because no one else seems to want to.

Still, while McGwire may have been millions while perpetrating a fraud relating to his home runs, the Busch family has been paid billions while perpetrating the fraud that that stuff they put in those red, white and blue cans is actually beer.

I eagerly await my apology.

NOTE: As was pointed out in the comments, it was Adolphus Busch IV, not August Busch IV who issued the statements on McGwire.  For what it’s worth, the original story I linked reported it was August (and still says it).  Apologies to August Busch for crediting this b.s. to him. He and his family are not off the hook for the crappy beer, however.

1. gumbercules - Jan 22, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Zing.
    Also, I’m eager for the punchline – why IS drinking Budweiser like having sex in a canoe?

2. YankeesfanLen - Jan 22, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Budweiser definitely is not worth drinking except in emergencies, and the St. Louis stuff is 5 grades above the Newark, probably to get some share of the Old Style crowd.
    The point of this study is- what is the punchline?

3. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 22, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Because both are fucking close to water.

4. Jonny5 - Jan 22, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Yeah…. the king of beers it isn’t. I like to call it Buttwiper, or Mudwieser. Both are very fitting the next day, every beer drinker I know tends to agree….. i’ll stick to my Guiness or Warstiener Dunkel…..

5. MarkH - Jan 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM

“Because you’re close to water.”

6. MarkH - Jan 22, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Whoops, the brackets erased the bleeped word of the day. Although, apparently bleeping it wasn’t necessary. Craig, think of the children!
    I’ve never understood how someone can prefer Bud, and I’m not even a beer fan. Is it that Je ne sais pas of formaldehyde? The fact that it arrives per-skunked so it never technically goes bad? the world may never know…

7. GimmeSomeSteel - Jan 22, 2010 at 1:45 PM

With the exception of some of the specialty Michelob varieties and the Bud American Ale (which technically is not a beer), I agree about Anheuser-Busch products. When I’m in a place that has dozens of beers and see these Yuppie Scum types drinking Bud, Bud Light, and Coors Light, thinking they’re being cool, I shake my head in shame.
    Bud haters–Try the American Ale. I’ve had it a few times and like it!

8. Joe Tetreault - Jan 22, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Duffweiser remains the brew of choice at far too many family functions I am compelled to attend.

9. Drew - Jan 22, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Wait…the primary criterion for selecting a quality batting coach should be career batting average? So let’s see — Top 5 run-scoring teams last year (probably a good indication of whether they can hit, no?):
    Yankees: Kevin Long. Career .234 batting average in AAA (never made it to the bigs)
    Angels: Mickey Hatcher. Career .280 batting average.
    BoSox: Dave Magadan. Career .288 hitter, and certainly the best of the bunch.
    Phillies: Milt Thompson. Career .274 hitter.
    Twins: Joe Vavra. Never played professional baseball.
    Maybe I’m picking on the wrong thing here. I’m just saying, maybe Mark McGwire was a hell of a hitter, and maybe he knows something about how to hit a baseball, and maybe that’s why you hire him as a batting coach.
    Hell, Kevin Seitzer hit .295 for his career. That’s probably why the Royals have such a powerhouse offense.

10. JJ Metz - Jan 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Ugh. Beer snobs. Only slightly more annoying than hand-wringing steroid overreactions.

11. YankeesfanLen - Jan 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Now that we’ve solved a “Whose Line Is It?”, is August 4 old enough to yell at us to get off his lawn? That is a great baseball day, BTW……think that makes me old school again, hurry up I have to get off the community computer at the assisted living center, someone wants to sign up for Wheel Watchers. Ethel loves the jokes, wants to try it in the whirlpool tonight.

12. Old Gator - Jan 22, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Unless that water is carrying typhoid bacillae, you should consider yourself lucky. Tests reveal that Land Shark Beer is loaded with mercury and more than just a trace of urea. That, and there is not nearly as much evidence that sharks are evolving legs and the ability to breathe free oxygen; if they had really wanted to sell those bottles of dog piss here in Macondo, they would have called it Walking Catfish Beer. At least everyone who ever got the dorsal spine of one of those little bastards lodged between their nates while sitting down in the grass in anticipation of some crusty french bread, a slab of double-Gloucester and a bottle of Merlot Neuveau would have had a sense of familiarity when ordering a grotesquely overpriced cup of it at the then named Joeprodolshark Stadium. Frankly, I wouldn’t even have used Land Shark Beer to wash down one of those – everybody ready? – horrible horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches they serve up in Feelie. Budweiser is like a 1973 Chateau Pape by comparison.

13. Charles Gates - Jan 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Bud bottles taste the best with Old Bay Maryland blue crabs…I can’t have crabs without and I can’t drink Bud anywhere else.

14. Jacob - Jan 22, 2010 at 2:03 PM

One of my favorite jokes. I usually use it when talking about Jim Beam white.

15. YX - Jan 22, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I’m more of Sam kind of guy, though there are some pluses for bud…
    It is better than Coors
    If you were at some exotic location such as Tailand, at least you know what you would get with a bud

16. Old Gator - Jan 22, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Wean yourself off the pisswater with a couple of bottles of St. Pauli NA, Kaliber NA or Buckler next time you sit down to unzip ad bucket of crabs. (Watch out for signs of Pfiesteria, of course, but during this transition period you ought to be lucid enough to pick up on that really quickly.) Then, once you’ve broken that awful, self-abnegating Bud habit, you can slowly begin to acclimate yourself to a real beer. I suggest German, Dutch or Austrian to begin with, and then once you’re out of danger of shock, you can segue gingerly back into some of the palatable domestic brands like, oh, Sam Adams.
    I never had that problem, of course. I was born with good taste, and prefer garlic crabs anyway.

17. YANKEES1996 - Jan 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM

August Busch tearing into McGwire after making the beer his family makes, that is nerve for you. Budweiser the king of beer, yea at a NASCAR race maybe, nowhere else. Sam Adams or Guiness that is it for me.

18. YankeesfanLen - Jan 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I really don’t think you do know what you’re getting with a Bud, the metro-NY variety has pure, unadulterated Jersey City sewer water, much as Steel City used to use from slag.
    The people used for daily taste tests are those stuck in traffic at GSP exit 145 who will say it’s good because there’s not a 90% tax on it, like everything else you buy in the armpit state.

19. jonny5 - Jan 22, 2010 at 2:54 PM

“there’s not a 90% tax on it, like everything else you buy in the armpit state.”
    Ok maroon. NJ has a 3.5% to 7% tax rate. NY has 4% to 8.375% And NJ is the high taxing armpit state? The stinky part of Jersey is downwind from that hell hole NYC. Everytime I go there It smells like an old dumpster. :>P

20. willmose - Jan 22, 2010 at 2:55 PM

The IV ran his company into the ground until the InBev baled his ass out right before he got canned. Sad, but the IV doesn’t know his ass from third base. Sold the club for about 100 million, now it’s worth $700 million. Go cry in your foreign beer.

21. Ron - Jan 22, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Charley Lau hit .255/.318/.365 in 1311 ML plate appearances.
    Ask George Brett and Hal McRae if those numbers made any difference.

22. YankeesfanLen - Jan 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Well, I prefer deep midnight blue to maroon, however Bergen County does revel in ythe fact it has the 3rd highest property taxes in the U. S. (after a couple of border NY counties) simply because it’s upwind.
    Ahhhh, the pleasure of watching the Pelicans without Bud (not to the exclusion of other amber beverages) await me.

23. Charles Gates - Jan 22, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I thought we hashed out our crab preparation squabble on a previous thread, where, obviously, it was decided that Old Bay is far superior to your crustacean a la vodka palate presentation. I will find common ground, one where you and I can share a picnic table, with a line of demarcation, one side beholding garlic crabs and Sam Summer Ale, the the other amassing a pike of Old Bay covered exoskeletons cast amongst a few empty Bud bottles. One side in the right, and the other in culinary disarray. I guess we’ll just agree to disagree as to who sits where.

24. PilotHawkeye - Jan 22, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Give me a “well built” Guiness anytime!!!!

25. DigDirkler - Jan 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I am with Jonny5….Warsteiner Dunkel may be the finest beverage the earth has ever known. I fell in love with it at a German Bar in Italy. But OH BOY was I in for a treat when I finally got some in Germany. It is so good that soccer almost feels cool, at least until the morning after. No hang over just embarassment that you actually got that fired up over Futbol.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4493)