Jan 22, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
Mr. Busch is part of the family that founded Anheuser-Busch, which in turn owned the Cardinals until the year before Mark McGwire came to town. I suppose that entitles him to speak out just as much as anyone else:
“McGwire has chosen to come out of the closet at the perfect time –
alongside a manager who also refuses to be honest, to the fans or to
the game itself,” Busch IV said. “After all, why would Tony La Russa
hire a hitting coach whose lifetime batting average was only .263?. He was paid millions while perpetrating a fraud.”
He’s certainly not alone in that sentiment, and I’m glad that he includes La Russa here, because no one else seems to want to.
Still, while McGwire may have been millions while perpetrating a fraud relating to his home runs, the Busch family has been paid billions while perpetrating the fraud that that stuff they put in those red, white and blue cans is actually beer.
I eagerly await my apology.
NOTE: As was pointed out in the comments, it was Adolphus Busch IV, not August Busch IV who issued the statements on McGwire. For what it’s worth, the original story I linked reported it was August (and still says it). Apologies to August Busch for crediting this b.s. to him. He and his family are not off the hook for the crappy beer, however.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)