Report: Mets get Gary Matthews from the Angels

Jan 22, 2010, 10:40 AM EDT

Heyman tweets it.  Details to come later.

I can only hope for the Mets’ sake that the Angels are either throwing in someone useful or else they’re eating a bunch of that money (UPDATE: Heyman says they will eat a lot of money).

Either way, this smells like panic over the Carlos Beltran knee thing.  Why not sign Johnny Damon? He’s not going to cost that much and, unlike Matthews, will actually, you know, hit.

Mercy.

1. Ryan - Jan 22, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Tony Reagins: “Hey Omar, you interested in Gary Matthews?”
    Omar Minaya: “Do I have ‘sucker’ written on my forehead?”
    TR: “Yes.”
    OM: “Oh yeah! Of course I want Gary Matthews!”
    Omar strikes again.

2. gumbercules - Jan 22, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Am I the only one who thinks of George Costanza’s gym teacher when I see Heyman’s name? I want to go read “Tropic of Cancer” now…

3. Mambo No. 4 - Jan 22, 2010 at 10:57 AM

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!
    I don’t even know what to say about this move. Another dumb move by Omar, I think he saw Dayton Moore make a cool move in 2007, so he one-upped him by making a cool move circa 2006. Omar’s version of Old School.

4. Jonny5 - Jan 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM

LOL!!! Gary isn’t his dad, that’s for sure. I wonder if his dad will be able to be an announcer during Phills Mets games without ridiculing his sons swing?? That should be interesting…..

5. evanhfox - Jan 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM

because johnny damon can’t play defense in citi field.

6. Gohare - Jan 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Of course. You think Omar is just gonna sit there while Moore signs Ankiel? He’s got a contest to win:
    Advantage Minaya

7. TomTom - Jan 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM

This is why I said that Omar Minaya is the most overpaid person in baseball. He should be paid exactly ZERO dollars and have no control over any part of any team. He’s completely incompetent.

8. john pileggi - Jan 22, 2010 at 11:23 AM

You have to assume (or hope) that the Angels are paying all of this and the move is to clear roster space. If the Mets are not in a position to cut him without financial concerns, then it is a bad deal.

9. YankeesfanLen - Jan 22, 2010 at 11:24 AM

We can’t have the only drama left on River Ave. negated- Johnny’s staying after a couple more under-the-radar weeks.

10. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 22, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Oh good lord, I don’t know what to say, I hope the Mets gave them a basket of used baseballs and old bubble gum. I think there will be alot of drunkards at citifield this year how else will these people
    sit thru games without killing themselves.I think I will ask Cable Vision to remove SNY from my package.I hope Met fans pray alot, they will need it.

11. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Yeah, Los Mets signed Latino Jason Bay to 60 Million because he has bad knees. What a bunch of miserable fans, how could you dog your team like that, it’s dispicable. Put bags on your head to hide your shameful self.Unbelievable, no wonder they hate to play at home, there is no support.This guy is a stand up guy with a good attitude to add to their locker room, many people have this view of Bay and this is why the Mets signed him. Get lost Mets Fan, you suck.

12. Benny Blanco - Jan 22, 2010 at 11:30 AM

If the Angels take on most of his salary, not a bad move. Whats the worst that can happen? He doesnt play well? If he produces anything similiar to Sheffield last year, its a plus.
    Lets see what they gave up in return…

13. BC - Jan 22, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Hit the ball with your wallet, Gary!

14. APBA Guy - Jan 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Hard to see the Mets contending with moves like this. I think the negative comments about Jason Bay are overstated, though. He should be able to handle left next year (check his ZR of 11+ last year), although by year 4 he may not. At that point the Mets can trade him again, assuming the economy has improved back to the point that eating $10M of an aging DH contract is viable.
    But power is the most expensive offensive commodity once again. Jason Bay’s 36 HR’s tied him for 9th in the MLB last year. In 2001 36 HR’s tied you for 22nd. His total of 36 is about half the A’s total for their starting 8 fielders combined.
    Omar paid what he did to buy power because it’s the market price now (with NYC surcharge), and because he has to win now.
    And Gary Matthews can actually still catch the ball, which may come in handy in the late innings if the Mets have a lead.
    The Matthews move isn’t great, but in the contest with Dayton Moore (thanks Gohare-very funny link), Moore still has the lead. Going out of your way to get Willie Bloomquist, Josh Anderson, and Scotty Pods (thank goodness we won’t have to hear that this year on WGN) puts Dayton firmly in front of Omar.
    Trust the process!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3680)