Jan 22, 2010, 2:07 PM EDT
The Astros aren’t going to dilly-dally for the next three or four weeks on their arbitration cases. If you’ve got pending litigation with them, they want it to be over by Monday or just forget it:
Astros general manager Ed Wade said Friday he has informed the agents for the club’s three remaining arbitration players — outfielder Hunter Pence and pitchers Wandy Rodriguez and Tim Byrdak — they have until end of business Monday to work out a deal or go to a hearing . . .
. . . “Realistically, there is enough data available at this point in time for us to afford a settlement. Without a deadline, you’re in position where there’s a lot of preparation taking place and a settlement could be reached today or all of a sudden takes place on the courthouse steps, so to speak.”
Bah. Maybe it’s just my lawyerly background talking here, but often the settlements that take place during trial prep or on the courthouse steps are the best deals. Before prep time people haven’t examined the flaws in their case, They haven’t fully appreciated all the risks involved.
Maybe it’s different in baseball. It just strikes me that this is another instance in which putting a litigation framework over what is essentially a friendly transaction leads to inefficiencies and makes little sense.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 32
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 51
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)