Jan 22, 2010, 2:07 PM EDT
The Astros aren’t going to dilly-dally for the next three or four weeks on their arbitration cases. If you’ve got pending litigation with them, they want it to be over by Monday or just forget it:
Astros general manager Ed Wade said Friday he has informed the agents for the club’s three remaining arbitration players — outfielder Hunter Pence and pitchers Wandy Rodriguez and Tim Byrdak — they have until end of business Monday to work out a deal or go to a hearing . . .
. . . “Realistically, there is enough data available at this point in time for us to afford a settlement. Without a deadline, you’re in position where there’s a lot of preparation taking place and a settlement could be reached today or all of a sudden takes place on the courthouse steps, so to speak.”
Bah. Maybe it’s just my lawyerly background talking here, but often the settlements that take place during trial prep or on the courthouse steps are the best deals. Before prep time people haven’t examined the flaws in their case, They haven’t fully appreciated all the risks involved.
Maybe it’s different in baseball. It just strikes me that this is another instance in which putting a litigation framework over what is essentially a friendly transaction leads to inefficiencies and makes little sense.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 0
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)