Jan 22, 2010, 2:07 PM EDT
The Astros aren’t going to dilly-dally for the next three or four weeks on their arbitration cases. If you’ve got pending litigation with them, they want it to be over by Monday or just forget it:
Astros general manager Ed Wade said Friday he has informed the agents for the club’s three remaining arbitration players — outfielder Hunter Pence and pitchers Wandy Rodriguez and Tim Byrdak — they have until end of business Monday to work out a deal or go to a hearing . . .
. . . “Realistically, there is enough data available at this point in time for us to afford a settlement. Without a deadline, you’re in position where there’s a lot of preparation taking place and a settlement could be reached today or all of a sudden takes place on the courthouse steps, so to speak.”
Bah. Maybe it’s just my lawyerly background talking here, but often the settlements that take place during trial prep or on the courthouse steps are the best deals. Before prep time people haven’t examined the flaws in their case, They haven’t fully appreciated all the risks involved.
Maybe it’s different in baseball. It just strikes me that this is another instance in which putting a litigation framework over what is essentially a friendly transaction leads to inefficiencies and makes little sense.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 0
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)