Jan 22, 2010, 2:07 PM EDT
The Astros aren’t going to dilly-dally for the next three or four weeks on their arbitration cases. If you’ve got pending litigation with them, they want it to be over by Monday or just forget it:
Astros general manager Ed Wade said Friday he has informed the agents for the club’s three remaining arbitration players — outfielder Hunter Pence and pitchers Wandy Rodriguez and Tim Byrdak — they have until end of business Monday to work out a deal or go to a hearing . . .
. . . “Realistically, there is enough data available at this point in time for us to afford a settlement. Without a deadline, you’re in position where there’s a lot of preparation taking place and a settlement could be reached today or all of a sudden takes place on the courthouse steps, so to speak.”
Bah. Maybe it’s just my lawyerly background talking here, but often the settlements that take place during trial prep or on the courthouse steps are the best deals. Before prep time people haven’t examined the flaws in their case, They haven’t fully appreciated all the risks involved.
Maybe it’s different in baseball. It just strikes me that this is another instance in which putting a litigation framework over what is essentially a friendly transaction leads to inefficiencies and makes little sense.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 53
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 104
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)