The worst uniforms of the 90s

Jan 22, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT

‘Duk at Big League Stew puts lie to the notion that the 1990s was some golden era of back-to-basics uniform styles by highlighting the worst baseball fashions of the decade.

Was there anything as bad as the White Sox’ shorts? Nah, but there were some ugly stuff happening back then, most of it rooted in the solid-jerseys/white-pants school of thought.  And we’re still suffering the hangover of that unfortunate sartorial cul-de-sac.

First the open letter writers, then the people who thought mismatched separates was a good idea for a ballplayer.

1. PaddyC - Jan 22, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Ok, I went to the two sights and looked at the uniforms. Those White Sox shorts just don’t cut it. Not for those guys with the blindingly white legs and not for baseball. As for “Stew” I liked a lot of those uniforms. Most uniforms today are white with a pinstripe of blue or some other color. Very little difference between one teams uniform or anothers.

2. ecp - Jan 22, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I guess I don’t understand why people get so bent out of shape about the solid jerseys with white pants (or gray on the road). They have never bothered me at all. Football teams have been doing it for just about forever. Heck, they even do white jerseys with dark pants – somthing you just don’t see in baseball – and nobody complains.

3. Alex Poterack - Jan 22, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Who says the 90s were a golden age of uniform design? I think the 90s were probably about the worst era of uniforms; sure, the 70s had some outlandishly bad uniforms, but at least some of them can be appreciated in their ridiculous (Astros rainbow unis, for example). But the bad 90s uniforms weren’t just ugly, they were boring, too.

4. Rays fan - Jan 22, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Hear, hear. I especially like the Rays uniform (what a shock from a rays fan, right?), but am surprised nothing of the Pads’ showed up.

5. BTfromVT - Jan 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM

blue jays uni was good untill 95 or 96

6. Omega in Colorado - Jan 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I think I have brain damage now from reading these two blog posts.

7. Daniel - Jan 22, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Those Angels uniforms make me shudder. The worst part about it was, as an Orange County kid, naturally my Little League featured the Angels as one of the teams. One of the perks of graduating from Little League to Senior League was that we got to wear real jerseys.
    I got picked by the Angels, and looked with pride on the early ’90’s-style white-with-red-letters Angels jersey they handed me. My joy quickly faded as the coach handed me my hat; it was the ugly blue winged Angels hat. The league was too cheap to buy each kid their own jersey, so they passed the jerseys on from year to year as long as they were still in decent shape. But each kid got to keep his cap, so they had to buy new ones every year. Well, the new hats they had to purchase were the ridiculous looking winged versions.
    So not only did I have to wear the hideous hat, it didn’t even come close to matching the jersey. I think my team won 2 games that year.

8. Cru11 - Jan 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Am I the only one who loved the Astros navy and gold uniforms? I loved the classic look, especially in The Dome. They’re ten times better than the awful brick red they always wear.

9. sploorp - Jan 23, 2010 at 1:15 PM

What’s wrong with the shorts?

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3393)