Johnny Damon could land somewhere soon

Jan 23, 2010, 4:04 PM EST

UPDATE: Uh oh.  Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told The Journal News moments ago that Heyman’s report of a deadline is “not true.”  Considering Heyman’s involvement, it’s probably worth noting now that Damon is a Scott Boras client.

3:51pm: It appears free agent outfielder Johnny Damon could be close to finding a home for the 2010 season.

Sports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman said this afternoon that Damon “has days” to accept a low-salary offer from the Yankees and the Newark Star-Ledger’s Marc Carig received a text from the 36-year-old outfielder stating that he “should have a
team in a week.”
  Exciting stuff.

Damon batted .282/.365/.489 with 24 home runs, 82 RBI and 107 runs scored last season for the Yankees but he’s drawn very little interest this winter for a variety of reasons.  Clubs are beginning to factor in things like defensive metrics and the outfielder ranks poorly by such measurements.  He’s looking at a large dip in pay from the whopping $13 million that George Steinbrenner and Co. paid him in 2009.

1. Tom Merritt - Jan 23, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I’m a third generation Yankee fan. PLEASE do not bring back this broken chicken wing throwing arm outfielder!!! I admit he can hit a little but he is a disaster in the outfield and has been for a long time. I can’t stand to see him in left field for another year.
    The cutoff man has to almost go out to medium left field to get the ball from him. It looks like his left arm will not straighten all the way and that’s why he can’t throw more than 60 feet. I’m 60 years old and have had 3 back surgeries and I think I could even make a better throw from left field than Damon.

2. G man - Jan 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM

i have to disagree with you there tom. your right damon cannot play the outfield because of his weak arm (understatement) but he can do more than hit a little (especially in the new yankee stadium). and if it wasnt for his great base stealing in the WS we may not have won. if he comes back it will be at a huge discount price. I bet you compare JD to any of the players that receive the same salary as him and JD will be a steal (not including young studs who have not reached arbitration yet). damon for one year is a great move. now we can have gardner be a defensive replacement off the bench and a late inning base stealer when needed. gardner can be a desent starter but is much better as a number 4. granted with the yanks currently roster they could get by with gardener in left, but like i said, if we can get JD for cheap, it is worth it. then next year we can make a run for carl crawford to man left field for the next few years.

3. John Pileggi - Jan 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM

A cheap one year deal would make sense. If they go with Granderson, Gardner and Swisher as the outfield, Damon can fill in as needed, do some DHing with Nick Johnson and be there in case of injuries.

4. Gman - Jan 23, 2010 at 6:15 PM

gardner will not and should not start over damon. gardner is a very good 4th outfielder and an average (at best) 3rd outfielder. damons bat makes up for his defense and gardner can always come off the bench to be a late inning replacement. but trust me, they wont sign damon to sit him on the bench and that would be a bad decision anyway. gardener is best suited as a #4 guy.

5. CoachJK - Jan 23, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Send him to the red sox

6. hop - Jan 23, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Gardner never even got a chance to play (everyday) yet so how is he a 4th outfielder? He could be a .300 hitter who can steal 50 bases a year, you dont know he can’t do that yet.

7. Old Gator - Jan 24, 2010 at 12:37 AM

I’ve had a long day doing umpteen household catch-up chores, like laying a laminate floor in the hall and running a rented carpet shampooer over lakes of dog piss hidden below the deep pile, so my memory may indeed be compromised by ureic lesions on my cerebral cortex, but…isn’t this about the weakest outfield the Borg has fielded since they belonged to CBS?

8. Gman - Jan 24, 2010 at 1:44 AM

a 4th outfielder is an outfielder who does not start and is the first off the bench. so if he didnt get a chance, (like you said) although he did start the year and lost the job to melky, then he is a 4th outfielder.
    the fact that he lost the job means he had an oppurtunity and lost it. look what happened when we gave young guys like hughes and kennedy spots in the rotation. they were both horrible. and they are not horrible pitchers. hughes is actually very talented and has a lot potential. but hughes said it himself. he didnt like being handed the job, he felt he needed to earn it. look how different he has pitched since he has earned his spot on the roster rather than having it handed to him.
    bringing in damon would be smart. he was great in the 2 spot last year and can def hit over 20hrs again with the help of the new stadium. thats a nice insurance policy to have while letting gardner try to earn a job in the outfield. who knows, maybe gardner has a nice spring and a good start to the season and then we have too many outfielders.
    last year we thought we had to many outfielders than nady went down. so too many is better than not enough. and who knows what to expect from hoffman (i think thats the guys name that they got from the nats would drafted him in the rule 5 from the dodgers). as it stands now we have 4 OF (swish, granderson, gardner, and hoffman). we need someone else anyway.
    im not saying they need damon, i am just saying if they can get one more year out of him at a discount, it is worth it. if they cant get him at their price for one year then they should go in another direction. i always wanted to see rocco baldeli in pinstripes and he can platoon in LF (against lefties) with gardner. he would come cheap but also with some health issues.

9. Bo fan - Jan 24, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Wow, you guys are quick to run off JD, give the guy a break, yeah he’s a trader for going to the Yanks, but this was his first year playing in the Yankees new Little league ball park. Damon had 6 errors in his last year with Boston and 5 Errors with the Yanks this past year, his RBI in 2005 was 72, this past year was 85, anf finally his Home Runs were 10 his last year at Boston and 24 this past year with the Yanks. So one can say he is performing exactly or better when the Yanks aquired him from Boston, other then a hair cut, his performance is on track.
    Oh and by the way, I had a conversation with an 86 year old die hard Yankees fan from New York while shopping in Jersey, He says swisher has to go, and as long as the Yankees keep Nick, they are a joke…

10. Old Gator - Jan 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Did Jon Heyman remember to wear his merkin when he wrote that piece?
    And do Boras and Heyman actually think that anyone except the front office of the Mutts, Royals, Gants and Pirates aren’t wise to this setup already? It’s fine if you’re targeting one of those alleged organizations, but Brian Cashman isn’t really that stupid.

11. bob - Jan 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM

amen to that go get crawford for 7 years put him in left and a the outfild will be called a ‘place where hits die’

12. smokehouse - Jan 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Man, I’ll tell you. I would take Johnny Damon in a heart beat. He can plain outright HIT.
    Gator, I have all beautiful oak flooring. I would never carpet them and I have 2 labs living with us. They don’t piss in the house.

13. stargatebabe - Jan 24, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Damon shouldn’t have tried to be so damned greedy or he’d probably have a place to play next season! He only has himself to blame, since Boras works for him and not the other way around!

14. since56 - Jan 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Everyone’s reacting as if Damon was a defensive liability. Sure he’s not the fielder he once was and he can’t throw a damn…never could…so what! Bernie couldn’t throw a lick and I never heard the level of complaint about him. Signing Damon puts Gardner where he belongs…on the bench until the Scranton train come by to pick him up. A solid AAAA player, not big time capable, certainly not as a starter.

15. Old Gator - Jan 24, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Should’ve said area rugs, not carpet – and they’re over the tile floors, not the wood floors. Why would I even think of depriving myself of the opportunity to drip on an oak floor on my way from the shower to the kitchen to grab a glass of juice, then slip on the puddles on the way back to the bathroom and fall on my ass?
    In any event, I like your domestic arrangment better than our own. Our dogs own the house, and we live with them. Most people are too proud to admit something like that, but the Buddha has caused his countenance to shine upon me and dissipated my ego.

16. JohnM - Jan 25, 2010 at 10:01 AM

No way. He had his chance at greatness. Let the Yanks KEEP HIM!

17. Hipolito Wiseman - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Oh jesus you’ll not belief that. Our stupid kitty actually farted on my knee!? I mean what’s the problem with this!? I give food to this thing and I end up with that in return. I still will not really belief that. Anyway, you have several important information there in your post. I knew Google are going to take me to a few unique stuff today :). O . k . have to search for this pet now! Have a nice evening you all!

18. hair lose - Feb 16, 2010 at 2:04 AM

As a Newbie, I am always probing online for articles that can help me. Thank you

19. Johnson Bikinis - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM

All of your respective portraits about the swimsuit products appear to be brilliant. You’ve conducted an incredible career accounting for your most current fashions for 2010. Summer is definitely planning to be here before when we comprehend it and many of us may well all be shopping for bikinis like the kinds in your latest story. Sporting activities Illustrated just introduced the particular swimwear edition and in many cases we will pretty much all be looking for bikinis similar towards the bikiniss inside your statement.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4701)
  2. M. Kemp (3732)
  3. M. Cabrera (2925)
  4. J. Kang (2773)
  5. J. Upton (2631)
  1. M. Morse (2620)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2304)
  3. A. Rios (2275)