Jan 24, 2010, 9:50 AM EDT
Completing an improbable year in which he admitted to steroid use and missed the first month of the season after hip surgery only to return to form to shed that pesky “unclutch” tag during the playoffs, Alex Rodriguez accepted the postseason MVP award at the 87th annual New York baseball writers’ dinner Saturday night.
Called the Babe Ruth Award, Rodriguez accepted the hardware from Ruth’s granddaughter.
“Postseason MVP. Wow,” Rodriguez said Saturday night. Pausing for effect he added, “What’s next, the good guy award?”
Not if this year’s winner Jeff Francoeur has anything to say about it.
Update: Brian Costa of the Star-Ledger informs us that Omar Minaya accepted the Joan Payson Award for community service on behalf of Carlos Beltran, who is rehabbing his knee in Colorado. Amazing how you can laugh at something that would have seemed completely appropriate just one month ago.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)