Jan 24, 2010, 9:50 AM EDT
Completing an improbable year in which he admitted to steroid use and missed the first month of the season after hip surgery only to return to form to shed that pesky “unclutch” tag during the playoffs, Alex Rodriguez accepted the postseason MVP award at the 87th annual New York baseball writers’ dinner Saturday night.
Called the Babe Ruth Award, Rodriguez accepted the hardware from Ruth’s granddaughter.
“Postseason MVP. Wow,” Rodriguez said Saturday night. Pausing for effect he added, “What’s next, the good guy award?”
Not if this year’s winner Jeff Francoeur has anything to say about it.
Update: Brian Costa of the Star-Ledger informs us that Omar Minaya accepted the Joan Payson Award for community service on behalf of Carlos Beltran, who is rehabbing his knee in Colorado. Amazing how you can laugh at something that would have seemed completely appropriate just one month ago.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)