Jan 24, 2010, 9:50 AM EST
Completing an improbable year in which he admitted to steroid use and missed the first month of the season after hip surgery only to return to form to shed that pesky “unclutch” tag during the playoffs, Alex Rodriguez accepted the postseason MVP award at the 87th annual New York baseball writers’ dinner Saturday night.
Called the Babe Ruth Award, Rodriguez accepted the hardware from Ruth’s granddaughter.
“Postseason MVP. Wow,” Rodriguez said Saturday night. Pausing for effect he added, “What’s next, the good guy award?”
Not if this year’s winner Jeff Francoeur has anything to say about it.
Update: Brian Costa of the Star-Ledger informs us that Omar Minaya accepted the Joan Payson Award for community service on behalf of Carlos Beltran, who is rehabbing his knee in Colorado. Amazing how you can laugh at something that would have seemed completely appropriate just one month ago.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)