Jan 24, 2010, 9:50 AM EDT
Completing an improbable year in which he admitted to steroid use and missed the first month of the season after hip surgery only to return to form to shed that pesky “unclutch” tag during the playoffs, Alex Rodriguez accepted the postseason MVP award at the 87th annual New York baseball writers’ dinner Saturday night.
Called the Babe Ruth Award, Rodriguez accepted the hardware from Ruth’s granddaughter.
“Postseason MVP. Wow,” Rodriguez said Saturday night. Pausing for effect he added, “What’s next, the good guy award?”
Not if this year’s winner Jeff Francoeur has anything to say about it.
Update: Brian Costa of the Star-Ledger informs us that Omar Minaya accepted the Joan Payson Award for community service on behalf of Carlos Beltran, who is rehabbing his knee in Colorado. Amazing how you can laugh at something that would have seemed completely appropriate just one month ago.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 38
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (93)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)