Jan 24, 2010, 9:50 AM EDT
Completing an improbable year in which he admitted to steroid use and missed the first month of the season after hip surgery only to return to form to shed that pesky “unclutch” tag during the playoffs, Alex Rodriguez accepted the postseason MVP award at the 87th annual New York baseball writers’ dinner Saturday night.
Called the Babe Ruth Award, Rodriguez accepted the hardware from Ruth’s granddaughter.
“Postseason MVP. Wow,” Rodriguez said Saturday night. Pausing for effect he added, “What’s next, the good guy award?”
Not if this year’s winner Jeff Francoeur has anything to say about it.
Update: Brian Costa of the Star-Ledger informs us that Omar Minaya accepted the Joan Payson Award for community service on behalf of Carlos Beltran, who is rehabbing his knee in Colorado. Amazing how you can laugh at something that would have seemed completely appropriate just one month ago.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)