Jan 24, 2010, 9:04 PM EST
Update: According to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, Ruiz will receive $8.85 million over three years with a $5 million option for a fourth year.
6:04 pm: Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies have signed catcher Carlos Ruiz to a three-year, $9 million contract, pending a physical.
Ruiz, who turned 31 on Friday, was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter. He asked for $2.5 million and was offered $1.7 million from the Phillies when arbitration figures were exchanged Tuesday. Ultimately, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. elected to buy out Ruiz’s arbitration years, exactly like he did with outfielder Shane Victorino and right-hander Joe Blanton last week.
“Chooch” batted .255/.355/.425 with nine home runs and 43 RBI with the Phillies last season, and was red-hot after the All-Star break, slamming six homers and posting an 862 OPS over his final 156 at-bats. The second half success translated to the postseason, where Ruiz hit .341 with two homers and nine RBI.
Ruiz is expected to be the everyday backstop for the Phillies this season, with the newly-inked Brian Schneider serving as his primary backup.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 1
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 50
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)