Jan 24, 2010, 9:04 PM EDT
Update: According to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, Ruiz will receive $8.85 million over three years with a $5 million option for a fourth year.
6:04 pm: Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies have signed catcher Carlos Ruiz to a three-year, $9 million contract, pending a physical.
Ruiz, who turned 31 on Friday, was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter. He asked for $2.5 million and was offered $1.7 million from the Phillies when arbitration figures were exchanged Tuesday. Ultimately, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. elected to buy out Ruiz’s arbitration years, exactly like he did with outfielder Shane Victorino and right-hander Joe Blanton last week.
“Chooch” batted .255/.355/.425 with nine home runs and 43 RBI with the Phillies last season, and was red-hot after the All-Star break, slamming six homers and posting an 862 OPS over his final 156 at-bats. The second half success translated to the postseason, where Ruiz hit .341 with two homers and nine RBI.
Ruiz is expected to be the everyday backstop for the Phillies this season, with the newly-inked Brian Schneider serving as his primary backup.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 18
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)