Jan 24, 2010, 1:23 PM EDT
Update: According to Scott Merkin of MLB.com, Ozzie Guillen said the following:
“Well, if I want one guy out there, I want (Thome). I already talk to Kenny about that.”
It’s a long way from a confirmation of a deal, and Guillen sometimes lacks a filter, but it sure sounds like he’s coming back.
11:51 am: Last we left you on the blog, the Twins were showing real interest in free agent designated hitter Jim Thome, but the White Sox quickly re-entered the picture on Friday night after a source told Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times that there was a “50-50″ chance could return to the South Siders.
This weekend just happens to be the annual SoxFest, so reporters have had plenty of access to their favorite quote-machine Ozzie Guillen. Just yesterday Guillen said that he would only bring Thome back as the lefty-part of his DH-by-committee and that a decision would be made either way before he left for Miami on Sunday. Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune tweeted this morning that Guillen told fans the club has yet to make a decision on Thome, but that he has delayed his flight until Monday.
Is this a sign that Thome is on his way back to Chicago? Not necessarily, but it at least extends the window of the possibility.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 42
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 92
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)