Jan 24, 2010, 1:23 PM EDT
Update: According to Scott Merkin of MLB.com, Ozzie Guillen said the following:
“Well, if I want one guy out there, I want (Thome). I already talk to Kenny about that.”
It’s a long way from a confirmation of a deal, and Guillen sometimes lacks a filter, but it sure sounds like he’s coming back.
11:51 am: Last we left you on the blog, the Twins were showing real interest in free agent designated hitter Jim Thome, but the White Sox quickly re-entered the picture on Friday night after a source told Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times that there was a “50-50″ chance could return to the South Siders.
This weekend just happens to be the annual SoxFest, so reporters have had plenty of access to their favorite quote-machine Ozzie Guillen. Just yesterday Guillen said that he would only bring Thome back as the lefty-part of his DH-by-committee and that a decision would be made either way before he left for Miami on Sunday. Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune tweeted this morning that Guillen told fans the club has yet to make a decision on Thome, but that he has delayed his flight until Monday.
Is this a sign that Thome is on his way back to Chicago? Not necessarily, but it at least extends the window of the possibility.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69