Jan 24, 2010, 1:23 PM EDT
Update: According to Scott Merkin of MLB.com, Ozzie Guillen said the following:
“Well, if I want one guy out there, I want (Thome). I already talk to Kenny about that.”
It’s a long way from a confirmation of a deal, and Guillen sometimes lacks a filter, but it sure sounds like he’s coming back.
11:51 am: Last we left you on the blog, the Twins were showing real interest in free agent designated hitter Jim Thome, but the White Sox quickly re-entered the picture on Friday night after a source told Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times that there was a “50-50″ chance could return to the South Siders.
This weekend just happens to be the annual SoxFest, so reporters have had plenty of access to their favorite quote-machine Ozzie Guillen. Just yesterday Guillen said that he would only bring Thome back as the lefty-part of his DH-by-committee and that a decision would be made either way before he left for Miami on Sunday. Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune tweeted this morning that Guillen told fans the club has yet to make a decision on Thome, but that he has delayed his flight until Monday.
Is this a sign that Thome is on his way back to Chicago? Not necessarily, but it at least extends the window of the possibility.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner