Jan 24, 2010, 1:23 PM EST
Update: According to Scott Merkin of MLB.com, Ozzie Guillen said the following:
“Well, if I want one guy out there, I want (Thome). I already talk to Kenny about that.”
It’s a long way from a confirmation of a deal, and Guillen sometimes lacks a filter, but it sure sounds like he’s coming back.
11:51 am: Last we left you on the blog, the Twins were showing real interest in free agent designated hitter Jim Thome, but the White Sox quickly re-entered the picture on Friday night after a source told Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times that there was a “50-50″ chance could return to the South Siders.
This weekend just happens to be the annual SoxFest, so reporters have had plenty of access to their favorite quote-machine Ozzie Guillen. Just yesterday Guillen said that he would only bring Thome back as the lefty-part of his DH-by-committee and that a decision would be made either way before he left for Miami on Sunday. Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune tweeted this morning that Guillen told fans the club has yet to make a decision on Thome, but that he has delayed his flight until Monday.
Is this a sign that Thome is on his way back to Chicago? Not necessarily, but it at least extends the window of the possibility.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 11
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 29
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)