A (very) brief moment to cut Mets some slack

Jan 25, 2010, 11:53 PM EDT

By my unofficial count, the two most entertaining pastimes these days are (a) spotting Tiger Woods lookalikes and (b) picking on the New York Mets.

We’ve done plenty of the latter just today. Here, here and here, in fact, for those of you who missed out on the fun.

But isn’t it all starting to get a little old? Do we really need to spend the whole offseason picking at the scabs of a destitute franchise that hasn’t been to the World Series since way back in 2000? (That’s pre-9/11 folks!) A team that hasn’t been in a pennant race since 2008, and which has no exciting stars to watch (aside from Johan Santana, David Wright, Francisco Rodriguez, Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran)?

OK, maybe the Mets don’t have it so bad after all, and I imagine the poor folks in places like Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Washington (if they cared) are rolling their eyes at the massive sound of wringing hands emanating from Queens.

So the Mets aren’t the best-run franchise in the league. And maybe they have hired these guys to head up their medical staff.

But on the bright side, they have a beautiful, almost-brand-new ballpark that probably won’t fall down for another few years, the injured Beltran should be ready to play by May, and Oliver Perez only has two more years and $24 million left on his contract. (repeat after me: the glass is half full, the glass is half full)

On top of all of this comes the good news that Johan Santana is going to take his arm for a spin on Tuesday.

Santana is scheduled to pitch Tuesday during the Mets’ three-day minicamp at their spring training complex. He expects to ready for opening day after having bone chips removed Sept. 1.

“I’m feeling good. Time will tell, but I am feeling good,” the two-time Cy Young winner said Monday. “We did a pretty good job with the offseason, working out and doing all the rehab, and I’m feeling good. Everything is on schedule.”

*So you see there is reason for hope, and there will be a new spirit of Sunshine, Lollipops & Rainbows in Mets-land if Santana looks sharp on Tuesday. Remember, they were only 10 or 20 injuries away from contending last season.

*The author — and CTB in general — reserve the right to resume poking fun at the Mets without notice whenever it is deemed necessary.

1. Simon DelMonte - Jan 26, 2010 at 4:25 AM

Speaking as a Mets fan, I will say it can be a little difficult to see the amount of disdain lumped on my team, and on anyone who roots for them. Not that Minaya hasn’t earned the disdain, but it does seem odd that the Mets are singled out when there are a lot of other poorly run clubs. And it strikes me as a way to drive off readers when you go from legitimate criticism of a club to making fun of the fans for being fans of a bad team.
    Which isn’t to say that I want to see you make fun of Royals fans, Nationals fans, etc. I just prefer sober analysis to snark. By and large, this site of free of the nasty snark that infects most sports sites. I want it to stay that way.
    At the same time…let’s say this again. Something is really wrong in MetsLand. This has been a total wash of an offseason, even if you like the Bay signing. So the lousy treatment of the Mets in all corners is to be expected.

2. Purnell Meagre - Jan 26, 2010 at 6:36 AM

Sportswriters like to make a tempest in a teapot – it gives them an excuse to cash their checks in the off season. All the stuff with the Mets is so much fluff.

3. willmose - Jan 26, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Cut the Mets some slack? Prediction: The Nats will finish ahead of the Mets. There slack cut.

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Glad the Mets will pay a player who is not amongst your “no exciting stars to watch” list $66m over 4 years.

5. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Missed a word… “no exciting stars to watch” **exception** list
    coffee, please.

6. Jonny5 - Jan 26, 2010 at 8:42 AM

CC!
    “But isn’t it all starting to get a little old? Do we really need to spend the whole offseason picking at the scabs of a destitute franchise”
    You’re Joking right? And posted above this blog is #999 of your Mcguire posts??? LOL!!!
    I don’t think it’s fair to pick on the fans, which obviously have no control over the situation up there, but seriously, with that payroll these guys should be serious contenders…. It’s kinda sad, Like buying a Bentley for top dollar that barely runs on all cylinders.I’m a Phillies fan myself and although there is plenty of animosity between us fans here, a part of me actually feels almost bad for you guys. Yes I said almost. I am a Philly fan afterall. ;>P

7. Benny Blanco - Jan 26, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Willmose, always hating.
    Im sure you dont recall that Sports Illustrated picked them to win the National League last year, with basically the same team, now hopefully healthy.

8. tonyrnyc - Jan 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Hey, I’m an Orioles fan, so the Mets look good to me. As incompetent owners as the Wilpons have been, at least they’re not Peter Angelos, who was ahead of the curve in destroying great franchises.

9. Simon DelMonte - Jan 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM

And to think, I used to like Angelos because he refused to use replacement players during the lockout.

10. Fast Eddy - Jan 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I am not a Mets fan, and don’t even care where they end up. I just like to follow the teams and try to see who is doing what. In looking at the Mets chances with the players they have, I would comment that if Santana is not healthy this year, these guys might not win as many games as Pittsburgh. Everything hinges on Santana.

11. Jim G - Jan 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Simon…the Mets get singled out because, unlike the Nats and Royals, they have $100 million+ payrolls year after year and nothing to show for it. They were relatively healthy in 07′, relatively healthy in 08′. And I say relatively because every team has their fair share of injuries. But as whole, the team was intact (unlike 09′). What were the excuses those years?

12. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 26, 2010 at 1:18 PM

The Mets are singled out and picked on for one reason, they have
    NEW YORK ON THEIR CHEST, NEW YORK MATTERS, CAN’T SAY THAT ABOUT
    Pittsburg, Kansas City, Washington, those places suck.
    Now go buy Jay-Z New York, and take notes, as a New Yorker he can
    coach you.

13. Benny Blanco - Jan 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM

What about those years? They won almost 90 games. But fell off at the end and didnt make the playoffs. Call them chokers or whatever you want, but they played solid baseball throughout the year.
    Its not like they won 70 games for the last 4 years.

14. Joe - Jan 26, 2010 at 7:09 PM

METS + Omar = Last Place / METS + New GM + New Head Coach = Better days ahead!!!!!!!!!! What would you rather have ??????

15. Joe - Jan 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I hear a few out in Mets Country liked the signing of Jason Bay. Bay Bad wheels, can not get to everything, more hits droping in. Hits a ton of Homeruns but in Citifield not much of a chance of that. Boston would not sign him and took back the 4 year deal and changed it to 2 years,after doctors found out how bad his wheels really were. Mets on hook now for $66 million for 4 years {16.5 million each year averaged}. Now look at Holliday. Good fielding with good range. Good base runner. Hits Homeruns but not in Citifield. $120 million for 7 years {17.14 million each year averaged}. Contract between the 2 players less then $1 million a year but Holliday has 3 more years. Now the biggest thing about the two players and the Mets. If down the road 2 or 3 years the Mets wanted to trade the player that was signed, who would have been easier to trade ??? Omar did nothing with this deal but put another nail in the Mets coffen for 4 more years. If not Holliday the Mets could have signed 2 other players for the money for a better return.

16. willmose - Jan 26, 2010 at 7:50 PM

When the Mets are healthy is kind of like saying when I win the lottery I’ll be rich. Everybody has injuries, good teams raise above them, bad teams and their fans use them as an excuse. All those injuries were opportunities for the Mets great young talent to showcase itself.
    Not hating, just trying to bring some reality to the Mets. Last year SI picked them to win the NL and finished fourth in East. I picked my nose, but the Yankees won the series anyway. Baseball isn’t about picking, it’s about playing, something the overpaid Mets players don’t often do.

17. Joe - Jan 26, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Why are the free agents not really considering the Mets as a team to sign with ???? Some pitchers really wanted to sign with the Mets. The Mets answer: dont even bother talking with them and they will sign with another team {well done it worked like a charm}. The Mets did sign Bay. No other team wanted him and the Mets bid against themselves. Boston took the $60 million offer off the table when the doctors found problems with Bays knees. Bay tried to get Boston back in the bidding to no use. Mets over paid for an outfielder with bad knees. Sports writers asked Omar why he was not looking at free agent pitchers while going after Bay. Omar stated he wanted to get the fielding / hitters signed before looking at the pitchers. He did not even put out feelers to the players agents he waited for them to contact him. WOW, What team does it that way ? Only time I have heard that is if the team was only looking to sign one player and only one player. Ok, how many pitchers did the Mets miss out on doing this ? Can we say most of the good ones. Omar watch the other top teams and for once learn how to do your job. Most teams talk trades all the time, we can figure Omar is not working the loop. See Yankees, the Braves went out to most of the teams with Lowe as trade bait {Mets included}. The Yankees looked into it but could not get it done fairly on there side. Yankees went back to Braves and made trade for Vasquez {4th in NL Cy Young voting in 2009}. Wake up Mets!!! Time for a change or take it at least as chance for the fans to change teams. Yes everyone I am a Yankee fan but I feel for the Mets fans who have to put up with Omar. I would like to see The Mets and Yankees in the World Series every year and so would the Mets fans so hold onto hope that Omar’s days are now numbered. Am I picking on the Mets {NO}. I just want the Mets standing up again over Philly and St. Louis. The Mets need at least 2 new starting pitchers and a good catcher, missed on one Molina don’t miss on the other.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5541)