Jan 25, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
This morning I compared Buster Posey and Craig Biggio, but lamented that I couldn’t find any scouting reports of what kind of catcher Biggio was. The lesson here: I’m really, really lazy and should leave the researching to people who know what they’re doing. People like lar from Wezen-Ball, who tracked down this old story about Biggio from USA Today:
He was a competent catcher, tough, aggressive, good at blocking pitches
in the dirt but not very accomplished at throwing runners out.
never win a championship with him catching,” St. Louis manager Whitey
Herzog said. Herzog admires Biggio’s speed and bat, not his throwing.
Posey, in contrast, is supposed to have a canon back there. Still, it’s a neat idea to talk about it, and may become even neater if the Giants keep him squatting in the hot Fresno sun all summer.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)