Jan 25, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
This morning I compared Buster Posey and Craig Biggio, but lamented that I couldn’t find any scouting reports of what kind of catcher Biggio was. The lesson here: I’m really, really lazy and should leave the researching to people who know what they’re doing. People like lar from Wezen-Ball, who tracked down this old story about Biggio from USA Today:
He was a competent catcher, tough, aggressive, good at blocking pitches
in the dirt but not very accomplished at throwing runners out.
never win a championship with him catching,” St. Louis manager Whitey
Herzog said. Herzog admires Biggio’s speed and bat, not his throwing.
Posey, in contrast, is supposed to have a canon back there. Still, it’s a neat idea to talk about it, and may become even neater if the Giants keep him squatting in the hot Fresno sun all summer.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 40
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)