Jan 25, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
This morning I compared Buster Posey and Craig Biggio, but lamented that I couldn’t find any scouting reports of what kind of catcher Biggio was. The lesson here: I’m really, really lazy and should leave the researching to people who know what they’re doing. People like lar from Wezen-Ball, who tracked down this old story about Biggio from USA Today:
He was a competent catcher, tough, aggressive, good at blocking pitches
in the dirt but not very accomplished at throwing runners out.
never win a championship with him catching,” St. Louis manager Whitey
Herzog said. Herzog admires Biggio’s speed and bat, not his throwing.
Posey, in contrast, is supposed to have a canon back there. Still, it’s a neat idea to talk about it, and may become even neater if the Giants keep him squatting in the hot Fresno sun all summer.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 22
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)