Jan 25, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
This morning I compared Buster Posey and Craig Biggio, but lamented that I couldn’t find any scouting reports of what kind of catcher Biggio was. The lesson here: I’m really, really lazy and should leave the researching to people who know what they’re doing. People like lar from Wezen-Ball, who tracked down this old story about Biggio from USA Today:
He was a competent catcher, tough, aggressive, good at blocking pitches
in the dirt but not very accomplished at throwing runners out.
never win a championship with him catching,” St. Louis manager Whitey
Herzog said. Herzog admires Biggio’s speed and bat, not his throwing.
Posey, in contrast, is supposed to have a canon back there. Still, it’s a neat idea to talk about it, and may become even neater if the Giants keep him squatting in the hot Fresno sun all summer.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)