If Brett Favre rules applied to baseball

Jan 25, 2010, 7:57 AM EDT

Favre knees.jpgNOTE: This starts out about football, goes into an observation about Twitter, but then turns to baseball, I promise.

So last night Brett Favre throws an interception that costs his team a trip to the Super Bowl. You think he’s going to be ripped for it, but within minutes of the game ending the ESPN talking heads are launching right back into that “he’s like a kid out there/he’s a gunslinger” baloney. The best one was Tom Jackson who said  “That’s the thing about Brett Favre; he’s not afraid to throw an
interception. That’s one of the things I most admire about him.”

I thought that was some of the best suck-up-inspired denial of reality from a commentator I’ve heard in ages, so I quickly tweeted the following for laughs: That’s the thing about Bill Buckner. He’s not afraid to muff a grounder. That’s one of the things I most admire about him.” Worried that people may not get the joke,  I applied a #FavreRulesForAll tag on it.  I giggled to myself for approximately four seconds, shut my computer down and went to sleep.

I woke up this morning to find that the meme had been picked up (the tag improved to #ESPNFavreRulesForAll). Between 11pm and 5am this morning, hundreds of people had made thousands of “That’s the thing about [infamous
person] he’s not afraid to [make a big historical failure]. Gotta respect
that.” posts.  Most were pop culture related. My favorite was Will Leitch’sThat’s the thing about France: It’s not afraid to build a war plan around the Maginot Line. Gotta respect that.” It was lightning fast. It was kinda brilliant. By dawn this morning
it was utterly played out, at least on Twitter. There is something glorious about that.

Anyway, though it may be and old joke, lo these eight hours later, I’m inspired to think up more baseball examples of the Favre treatment. The first one that comes to mind is “That’s the thing about Fred Merkle. He’s not afraid to miss second base on a game-winning hit, get tagged out to cost his team the pennant. You gotta respect that.”

I’m sure you can think of your own.  Best ideas in the comments, please. Bonus points for Jeter. Bonus points for “he’s like a kid out there.”

1. Anthony - Jan 25, 2010 at 2:02 PM

That was mine!

2. scatterbrian - Jan 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM

That’s the thing about Miguel Cabrera. He’s not afraid to get piss drunk until 4am, go home to his wife and get into a fight between games in a pennant race. That’s one of the things I most admire about him.

3. Anthony - Jan 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM

That’s the thing about Darryl Henley he’s not afraid to order a hit on a judge and a witness you gotta respect that.

4. chez - Jan 25, 2010 at 2:09 PM

That’s the thing about Donnie Moore. He’s not afraid to kill himself. A-OK in my book.

5. paul - Jan 25, 2010 at 2:15 PM

That’s the thing about Paul LoDuca. He’s not afraid to get old and watch his skills completely disappear. He’s like a kid getting old. Gotta respect that.

6. Anthony - Jan 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM

That’s the thing about Darryl Henley. He’s not afraid to order a hit on a judge and a witness. You gotta respect that.

7. BHM - Jan 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM

That’s the thing about Napoleon. He’s not afraid to invade Russia during the winter, you gotta respect that.

8. Deese Knutts - Jan 25, 2010 at 2:48 PM

That’s the thing about Donte Stallworth- he’s not afraid to speed drunk through a crosswalk early in the morning. Gotta respect that.

9. matt - Jan 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM

that’s the thing about chris webber. he’s not afraid to call a timeout he doesnt have at crucial points in the game to cost his team the game, that’s what i admire most about C-Webb.

10. matt - Jan 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM

thats the thing about tim wakefield. hes not afraid to lob over a 70 mph pitch to have hit slammed out of the stadium to end his team a chance at a WS appearance, gotta respect a guy with that type of courage.

11. DJ - Jan 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

That’s the thing about Adrian Beltre- he’s not afraid to let everything hang out- NOW he’s like a kid out there- gotta respect that writhing in pain.

12. DJ - Jan 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM

That’s the thing about Ugueth Urbina, he’s not afraid to take a good hack at his opponents. That’s one of the things I most admire about him.

13. Bryan - Jan 25, 2010 at 4:57 PM

that’s the thing about jose offerman, he’s not afraid to punch umpire’s in the face. that’s one of the things I most admire about him.

14. Steve - Jan 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM

That’s the thing about Billy Martin. He’s not afraid to beat the crap out of Jimmy Piersall before a Yankees-Red Sox game. That’s one of the things I most admire about him.

15. Jesus - Jan 25, 2010 at 5:29 PM

That’s the thing about Chuck Knobaluch. He’s not afraid to stand around, pointing to the ball instead of picking it up, letting the runners advance. He’s like a kid out there, blowing a bubble, standing around pointing.

16. scott - Jan 25, 2010 at 5:34 PM

that’s the thing about Chris Simon. He’s not afraid to take an axe swing at a guy’s throat with his stick. gotta respect that

17. Matt - Jan 25, 2010 at 5:44 PM

That’s the thing about Jose Offerman, he’s not afraid to punch umpires. Thats what I like about him

18. Alex - Jan 25, 2010 at 5:52 PM

That’s the thing about Chick Gandil. He’s not afraid to tank a World Series for money and imperil professional of baseball for a generation. You gotta respect that.

19. Will - Jan 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM

That’s the thing about Phillip Wellman. He’s not afraid to army crawl and throw rosin bag hand grenades. He’s like a little kid out there. Gotta respect that.

20. Matt - Jan 25, 2010 at 6:19 PM

That’s the thing about Bill Buckner. He’s not afraid to let a ground ball go through his legs and cost his team the World Series. You gotta respect that

21. Matt - Jan 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

That’s the thing about Carl Pavano. He’s not afraid to sign a big contract just to get hurt for the entirety of said contract. You gotta respect that.

22. mike - Jan 25, 2010 at 6:59 PM

That’s the thing about Kim Jong Il…he’s not afraid to oppress his own people and threaten world peace with nuclear wepons. You have to admire his strength and courage…

23. HaloFan - Jan 25, 2010 at 7:41 PM

That’s the thing about Vlad. He’s not afraid to swing at bouncing balls. He’s like a kid out there. You have to admire his optimism.
    That’s the thing about Mo Vaughn. He’s not afraid to fall down the stairs. He’s not worried about, you know, playing in the games. You have to respect that.

24. Angry Dragon - Jan 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Thats the thing about my wife. She’s not afraid to Fawk another man in my bed as I walk in from work. You have to admire her courage. Jess Bakersfeld, YOURE A Hooooore and you aint gettin zilch in the divorce settlement.

25. smsetnor - Jan 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM

That’s the thing about Matt. He’s not afraid to completely copy a joke and claim it as his own. He’s like a Carlos Mencia out there. You gotta respect that.

All the trade deadline news to know