If Brett Favre rules applied to baseball

Jan 25, 2010, 7:57 AM EST

Favre knees.jpgNOTE: This starts out about football, goes into an observation about Twitter, but then turns to baseball, I promise.

So last night Brett Favre throws an interception that costs his team a trip to the Super Bowl. You think he’s going to be ripped for it, but within minutes of the game ending the ESPN talking heads are launching right back into that “he’s like a kid out there/he’s a gunslinger” baloney. The best one was Tom Jackson who said  “That’s the thing about Brett Favre; he’s not afraid to throw an
interception. That’s one of the things I most admire about him.”

I thought that was some of the best suck-up-inspired denial of reality from a commentator I’ve heard in ages, so I quickly tweeted the following for laughs: That’s the thing about Bill Buckner. He’s not afraid to muff a grounder. That’s one of the things I most admire about him.” Worried that people may not get the joke,  I applied a #FavreRulesForAll tag on it.  I giggled to myself for approximately four seconds, shut my computer down and went to sleep.

I woke up this morning to find that the meme had been picked up (the tag improved to #ESPNFavreRulesForAll). Between 11pm and 5am this morning, hundreds of people had made thousands of “That’s the thing about [infamous
person] he’s not afraid to [make a big historical failure]. Gotta respect
that.” posts.  Most were pop culture related. My favorite was Will Leitch’sThat’s the thing about France: It’s not afraid to build a war plan around the Maginot Line. Gotta respect that.” It was lightning fast. It was kinda brilliant. By dawn this morning
it was utterly played out, at least on Twitter. There is something glorious about that.

Anyway, though it may be and old joke, lo these eight hours later, I’m inspired to think up more baseball examples of the Favre treatment. The first one that comes to mind is “That’s the thing about Fred Merkle. He’s not afraid to miss second base on a game-winning hit, get tagged out to cost his team the pennant. You gotta respect that.”

I’m sure you can think of your own.  Best ideas in the comments, please. Bonus points for Jeter. Bonus points for “he’s like a kid out there.”

1. Bill - Jan 25, 2010 at 9:13 PM

That’s the thing about Ralph Branca. He’s not afraid to throw a gopher ball. That’s the thing I admire about him. THE SHOT HEARD ROUND THE WORLD!

2. Ultimate Worrier - Jan 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM

That’s the thing about Ray Chapman. He’s willing to stick his neck out and take one for the team. You gotta respect that.
    /too soon?

3. Jon - Jan 25, 2010 at 11:06 PM

That’s the thing about Luis Castillo. He isn’t afraid to drop a pop fly that should have ended the game, but insteand ended their season. You gotta respect that.

4. Jon - Jan 25, 2010 at 11:09 PM

That’s the thing I love about Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. They don’t mind lying to congress about their illegal abuse of performance enhancing drugs, even if it means going to the slammer instead of Cooperstown. You gotta respect that.

5. Deese Knutts - Jan 26, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Ha Ha Ha Ha- Carlos Mencia. Classic.

6. Deese Knutts - Jan 26, 2010 at 9:14 AM

That’s the thing about Sammy Sosa- he’s not afraid to pretend he just forgot how to speak English in front of Congress. He was just like a kid having fun up there- you gotta respect that.
    That’s the thing about Sammy Sosa- he’s not afraid to bleach his skin white and show up at an event where they’ll be cameras. You gotta respect that.

7. john - Jan 26, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Plaxico is not afraid to take a bullet instead of shooting it at someone else, thats what I admire most about him!

8. bellamacina - Jan 26, 2010 at 2:20 PM

That’s the thing about Gary Sheffied. He’s not afraid to go on record about tanking a season in order to get himself traded. You have to respect that kind of honesty.

9. Matty G - Jan 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM

That’s the thing about Charles Haley, he’s not afraid to stroke it in front of his teammates. You have to admire that. Especially from the waist down.

10. Poopy - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:23 AM

That’s the thing about gay midget retards: nobody in society likes them and everyone wishes death upon their kind by way of a hurtling, burning fuselage suddenly ripped from a malfunctioning Boeing 737 flying over the sea on its way to an emergency landing @ JFK that was forced to circle the runway because of a rainstorm that flooded an anthill in Central Park causing the ants to seek shelter under a massive oak tree scaring away a group of underprivileged children on a field trip to see nature instead of being cooped up in dilapidated brick elementary school buildings built in the 70’s by hordes of stoned construction workers going home every night to hirsute European wives whose daughters grow up to croon over the infallible Yankees shortstop/world’s savior Derek Jeter.
    Gotta respect that.

11. froggo - Jan 27, 2010 at 8:06 AM

That’s the thing about Brett Favre. He’s not afraid to step in the huddle BEFORE counting heads. What’s a measly five yards when you’ve already run up almost five hundred? Gotta respect that!

12. adam - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:04 PM

That’s the thing about nick saban. He’s not afraid to act like a cold asshole even after his team wins a national title game.

13. Rita - Jan 27, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Yes, but Bret is supposed to be the super hero who can rise above it all and carry his team on his shoulders. Can you not recall how many super bowls he played in and one only one of the two and all the game losing interceptions he threw in playoff games!!!! But of course you are not afraid ignore the truth.

14. Deese Knutts - Jan 28, 2010 at 9:02 AM

That’s the thing about Ted Kennedy- he’s not afraid to get drunk, drive a chick off a bridge, and then run for senator. He’s like a kid at the beach out there- who happened to leave someone for dead. You gotta respect that.

15. Daine - Feb 1, 2010 at 1:58 AM

That was a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing that article which talk about the different issues in our society. I really love to read post which are about gold and stock market. It keep me updated with the current situation in the stock market and the value of gold in the market today which is a good investment. I look forward to your next post and Im sure it is as interesting post again.
    Gold Liberty Quarter

16. Lionheart! - Feb 2, 2010 at 2:39 PM

What happened?

17. Mike - Feb 2, 2010 at 8:28 PM

You see that’s the thing about Diane. She spams blog posts with something completely irrelevant to the topic. Gotta respect that.

18. Ed Koper - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:29 PM

That’s the thing about the Chicago Cubs for the last 102 years, just have fun out there, don’t worry about winning a World Series.
    Gotta respect that. ( Not really. )

19. Melanie - Feb 5, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Thats the thing about Craig Calcaterra, he’s not afraid to feed his animosity for Jeter by inserting his name into unrelated stories. He’s like a kid out there. A lazy, buffoonish kid, but still…

20. KathyBaseball - Feb 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM

That’s the thing about Chuck Carr. After popping out to third on a two balls, no strike count Carr was questioned by manager Phil Garner. Carr replied to Garner “That ain’t Chuckie’s game. Chuckie hacks on 2-0.” Gotta respect that.

21. Warren Monro - Feb 23, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Hello,Folks. I come here form bing,I consider this article is cheerful ,.thank you for sharing.

22. wrinkles - Feb 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM

This website renders in plain html code only.

23. yankeh8r - Feb 24, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Clemens had been holding baseball hostage for years before Favre even thought of retiring. If ever there was a prima donna it’s clemens. “I’m not playing until May, I will practic on my own, I will play for the highest bidder of only certain contender teams. I will not go on the road blah blah blah – oh yeah and I’m keeping the Hummer the yanks gave me when I retired for the 2nd time.” Or maybe it was the 3rd time – sometimes I misremember. It’s a side effect of the lidocaine shots I get in my ass. And Mindy McCready told me she was of legal age!

24. MIZZOU - Feb 26, 2010 at 12:23 PM

That’s the thing about Jeff Hilbrenner, he’s not afraid to touch another man’s penis. He’s like a kid out there. Gotta respect that.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5831)
  2. M. Kemp (3259)
  3. J. Kang (3228)
  4. C. McGehee (3091)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3062)
  1. J. Upton (3000)