Jan 25, 2010, 11:25 AM EDT
We haven’t really covered this story, but the short version is this: The Cubs have trained in Arizona for 50 years, but their facilities are getting long in the tooth and they need new digs. Naples, Florida stepped up with a very attractive proposal to lure the Cubs to the Grapefruit League. It appeared as though the Cubs were going to jump, but at the last minute Mesa, Arizona made some concessions and the Cubs will stay in some fancy new facility to be named later.
This could simply be the way these things happen. If you believe what some people are saying, however, it could all be a big conspiracy theory in which Bud Selig strongly urged the Rickettseseses to take the Arizona deal — which is still a pipe dream by the way, because it needs voter approval which like less than a sure thing — and in turn will position the Brewers to take advantage of whatever the folks in Florida are offering when it comes time for them to find a new spring training home.
I love a good Bud-is-evil story as much as the next guy, but this one sounds like it has way too many moving parts to satisfy even my low conspiracy theory acceptance threshold. Still, there’s nothing more shady than a stadium deal, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the deals for spring training facilities are even more shady than they are for the big league parks. Fewer people watching, don’t you know.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)