Jose Offerman says he was provoked

Jan 25, 2010, 2:20 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for Offerman bat.jpgESPN’s Jorge Arangure links a Spanish language report in which Jose Offerman says that the umpire he struck had spoken badly about his mother. I took a bunch of Spanish about 20 years ago and forgot most of it, but I kind of got the gist from the article.  But to be totally professional about it, I put Offerman’s quotes through Google Translate:

“He
mentioned my mother in the classic tone of someone trying to offend a
man, and that’s where my reaction came to throw a punch.”

OK, I think the nature of translation software makes Offerman sound a bit more formal than he likely is, so I’ll paraphrase the rest:  Offerman says that there were multiple problems with the umps during the series, and that it all came to a head after his catcher, Ronny Paulino, was ejected after some argument with the home plate ump about a replacement ball following a wild pitch. Later, when Offerman comes out to argue with Daniel Rayburn — not the one who ejected Paulino, but the crew chief — Rayburn gave Offerman some derivation of “yo momma” and Offerman let fly. He says, however, that he never hit him, and that Rayburn’s hitting the ground was a big show.

Maybe. The video certainly reveals the contact, if indeed there was some, to be minor at best, and it sure looks like Rayburn took a dive  Still, when you’re Jose Offerman and you have a history destroying a freakin’ player’s life via an assault with a baseball bat, you’re not going to get the close calls.

1. Jonny5 - Jan 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM

As a wise man once said…. Laaaa-hoooo-ser…..

2. APBA Guy - Jan 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Amazing what athletes get away with, in this case, assault with a deadly weapon (think it isn’t? A baseball bat was Al Capone’s favorite execution device and for good reason: 4x the impact of a standard load .38 bullet).
    How was he not imprisoned after that incident, and left free to pollute the game elsewhere?

3. Ryan - Jan 25, 2010 at 2:46 PM

The only thing that is clear to me is that Daniel Rayburn walked into Offerman’s outstretched arm. He is clearly the one at fault, lifetime-ban him!

4. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 25, 2010 at 3:13 PM

When a Umpire blows a call he should
    get a note to visit Jose Offerman ……….
    This will cut down blown calls……..
    (Ump,bring ya helmet!)

5. michael standish - Jan 25, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Apparently, some people will stop at nothing in their efforts to get baseball’s ratings right up there with hockey’s.

6. YANKEES1996 - Jan 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Jose Offerman is a disgrace and should have been banned from baseball after the bat incident. I doubt the ump made a reference to his mother and even if he did sometimes you just have to walk away. Offermans’ charachter is weaker than that punch he threw at Rayburn, and if the umps’ acting job got Offerman banned for life then I say it was long overdue! Good riddance to garbage!

7. Charles Gates - Jan 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I’m not sure what’s worse, Offerman reacting that way in real time to the equivalent of a ‘yo momma,’ or fabricating this up after the fact and thinking to himself, ‘they’ll think I was justified if I say he said something about my mom.’

8. IdahoMariner - Jan 25, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I’ve watched that video a lot, and I can see why some people say he took a dive, but I also think it is at least as likely that he just fell…either he got caught by surprise at being hit (since, you know, most baseball players/managers don’t take a swing at an ump), or just was backing up to get away and fell (even with minor contact). I mean, when was the last time any of us have been in that situation? The last time my brother took a swing at me (30 years ago) I landed on my ass. so, no judgments here.
    also, I whole-heartedly concur with — Jose isn’t going to get the close calls. that baseball bat thing was dead-ass wrong.

9. Skids - Jan 26, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I’m surprised he hasn’t thrown the race card yet. Or maybe he has, and it got lost in the translation./

10. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Hey, I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say GREAT blog!…..I”ll be checking in on a regularly now….Keep up the good work! :)

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3686)