Jan 25, 2010, 5:47 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Nationals have signed former Braves left-hander Chuck James to a minor league deal.
James, 28, will be attempted a comeback after undergoing shuolder and rotator cuff surgery in Sept. 2008 and missing all of last season. He was last seen going 2-5 with a 9.10 ERA in seven starts before getting hurt in 2008, but he went 22-14 with a 4.00 ERA in 286 innings as a major leaguer from 2005-07.
Given that he hasn’t pitched in a game in a year and a half, James almost certainly will need some minor league time at the beginning of 2010. Still, he could turn into a candidate for Washington’s rotation come May or June.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)