Jan 25, 2010, 2:49 PM EST
MLB.com’s Kelly Thesier reports that side-arming setup man Pat Neshek is “a little anxious” but “on track to be ready for the start of spring training” 14 months after undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery.
“I just want to face hitters to see where I’m at and get that in my head,” Neshek said. “I want to face hitters to give me that total confidence back. Right now it feels like I’m killing time waiting for that to happen.”
Prior to going down in May of 2008 he had a 2.91 career ERA with 143 strikeouts and a .188 opponents’ batting average in 121 innings, but after signing Clay Condrey the Twins have six relievers as locks for the Opening Day roster, so even if they go with a 12-man pitching staff that leaves just a single spot for Neshek or one of the losers of the fifth-starter competition.
And that assumes they won’t sign Jarrod Washburn. In other words, healthy or not I’d say there’s a decent chance Neshek will begin the season on the disabled list if only to give the Twins some extra time to sort out the pitching staff. In the meantime, you can get updates about Neshek’s comeback directly from Neshek via his personal website.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)