Jan 25, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Kelly Thesier reports that side-arming setup man Pat Neshek is “a little anxious” but “on track to be ready for the start of spring training” 14 months after undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery.
“I just want to face hitters to see where I’m at and get that in my head,” Neshek said. “I want to face hitters to give me that total confidence back. Right now it feels like I’m killing time waiting for that to happen.”
Prior to going down in May of 2008 he had a 2.91 career ERA with 143 strikeouts and a .188 opponents’ batting average in 121 innings, but after signing Clay Condrey the Twins have six relievers as locks for the Opening Day roster, so even if they go with a 12-man pitching staff that leaves just a single spot for Neshek or one of the losers of the fifth-starter competition.
And that assumes they won’t sign Jarrod Washburn. In other words, healthy or not I’d say there’s a decent chance Neshek will begin the season on the disabled list if only to give the Twins some extra time to sort out the pitching staff. In the meantime, you can get updates about Neshek’s comeback directly from Neshek via his personal website.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 0
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 9
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)