Jan 25, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Kelly Thesier reports that side-arming setup man Pat Neshek is “a little anxious” but “on track to be ready for the start of spring training” 14 months after undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery.
“I just want to face hitters to see where I’m at and get that in my head,” Neshek said. “I want to face hitters to give me that total confidence back. Right now it feels like I’m killing time waiting for that to happen.”
Prior to going down in May of 2008 he had a 2.91 career ERA with 143 strikeouts and a .188 opponents’ batting average in 121 innings, but after signing Clay Condrey the Twins have six relievers as locks for the Opening Day roster, so even if they go with a 12-man pitching staff that leaves just a single spot for Neshek or one of the losers of the fifth-starter competition.
And that assumes they won’t sign Jarrod Washburn. In other words, healthy or not I’d say there’s a decent chance Neshek will begin the season on the disabled list if only to give the Twins some extra time to sort out the pitching staff. In the meantime, you can get updates about Neshek’s comeback directly from Neshek via his personal website.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)