Jan 25, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Kelly Thesier reports that side-arming setup man Pat Neshek is “a little anxious” but “on track to be ready for the start of spring training” 14 months after undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery.
“I just want to face hitters to see where I’m at and get that in my head,” Neshek said. “I want to face hitters to give me that total confidence back. Right now it feels like I’m killing time waiting for that to happen.”
Prior to going down in May of 2008 he had a 2.91 career ERA with 143 strikeouts and a .188 opponents’ batting average in 121 innings, but after signing Clay Condrey the Twins have six relievers as locks for the Opening Day roster, so even if they go with a 12-man pitching staff that leaves just a single spot for Neshek or one of the losers of the fifth-starter competition.
And that assumes they won’t sign Jarrod Washburn. In other words, healthy or not I’d say there’s a decent chance Neshek will begin the season on the disabled list if only to give the Twins some extra time to sort out the pitching staff. In the meantime, you can get updates about Neshek’s comeback directly from Neshek via his personal website.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)