Jan 25, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Dustin McGowan missed all of 2009 following shoulder surgery and general manager J.P. Ricciardi went so far as to suggest that his career was in jeopardy, but now he’s former general manager J.P. Ricciardi and MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports “the hope is that McGowan will be ready to join the rotation competition” in spring training.
However, Bastian adds that McGowan “remains a big unknown” given that he hasn’t pitched since July of 2008 and had his recovery from surgery sidetracked by a knee injury. Bastian also notes that McGowan is out of minor-league options, which means he can’t be sent to Triple-A without first passing through waivers.
Normally that would be an issue, because several teams would no doubt take a flier on McGowan if available for nothing, but the Blue Jays can always get him to the minors while avoiding the waiver wire by making it a rehab assignment rather than a straightforward demotion.
In other words, if McGowan shows up at spring training looking like his old, pre-surgery self he’ll grab an Opening Day rotation spot. If instead he struggles in his return to the mound he’ll be placed on the disabled list to begin the season and then make his way back to the majors with a stay at extended spring training followed by a rehab stint. There’s no need to risk losing McGowan, at least until the Blue Jays find out whether there’s much left to lose following surgery.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)