Jan 25, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Dustin McGowan missed all of 2009 following shoulder surgery and general manager J.P. Ricciardi went so far as to suggest that his career was in jeopardy, but now he’s former general manager J.P. Ricciardi and MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports “the hope is that McGowan will be ready to join the rotation competition” in spring training.
However, Bastian adds that McGowan “remains a big unknown” given that he hasn’t pitched since July of 2008 and had his recovery from surgery sidetracked by a knee injury. Bastian also notes that McGowan is out of minor-league options, which means he can’t be sent to Triple-A without first passing through waivers.
Normally that would be an issue, because several teams would no doubt take a flier on McGowan if available for nothing, but the Blue Jays can always get him to the minors while avoiding the waiver wire by making it a rehab assignment rather than a straightforward demotion.
In other words, if McGowan shows up at spring training looking like his old, pre-surgery self he’ll grab an Opening Day rotation spot. If instead he struggles in his return to the mound he’ll be placed on the disabled list to begin the season and then make his way back to the majors with a stay at extended spring training followed by a rehab stint. There’s no need to risk losing McGowan, at least until the Blue Jays find out whether there’s much left to lose following surgery.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)