Jan 25, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
There’s apparently some money burning a hole in Billy Beane’s pocket, because according to Buster Olney, the Athletics are trying to sign Ben Sheets. Sheets figures to command around $8 million, so either Beane was given some new financial latitude or else he’s been playin’ possum.
A Sheets signing would be a nice move for the A’s who, given how tough the AL West appears to be this year, will need to take some chances and hope for some upside from a lot of their players. Of course, given that this is Beane, it may be far more likely that he’d expect a nice first half from Sheets followed by a deadline deal for prospects. Which would also be smart.
The kicker: Olney says that if the A’s can’t swing a deal for Sheets, they’d turn their attention to Johnny Damon, whom would presumably be subject to the same sort of deadline-deal, free agent arbitrage.
Query: is a Buster Olney tweet enough to make the A’s an official “mystery team?” If so, I may owe Scott Boras an apology.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (152)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)