Jan 26, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Xavier Nady’s one-year deal with the Cubs is worth $3 million plus another $2 million in incentives and sets him up to platoon with Kosuke Fukudome in right field, which is a good fit for a right-handed hitter coming off Tommy John surgery in that he’ll face mostly left-handed pitching and won’t be asked to play every day.
At least not initially.
Nady is a career .308/.383/.471 hitter against lefties, which is good for an .854 OPS that easily tops his .769 mark against righties. Fukudome is the exact opposite in that he’s a left-handed hitter who’s batted .262/.372/.417 versus right-handers compared to just .242/.343/.324 versus southpaws.
Assuming that Nady and his surgically repaired elbow pass the pre-signing physical exam they’ll make for a prototypical and very productive platoon, although given Fukudome’s propensity to fall into prolonged slumps there’s a good chance Nady will also claim plenty of his starts against righties at some point.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)