Jan 26, 2010, 9:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reports that the Rays are also keen on Hudson and might be willing to move Ben Zobrist to right field in order to accommodate him.
7:03pm: MLB.com’s Bill Ladson heard from a baseball source Tuesday that the Nationals “have a good chance of signing” free agent second baseman Orlando Hudson.
“There is good progress going on every day,” Hudson told MLB.com. “I will sign
soon enough. You can put it on the Internet and on TV. I’m going to
sign. I can’t say exactly when. It will not be long. I can’t say if it’s
with the Nationals, San Diego or Cleveland. I can’t say with whom.
Something is getting done.”
The “O-Dog” hit .283/.357/.417 with nine home runs, 62 RBI and eight stolen bases in 551 at-bats for the Dodgers last season. He’s found little interest on the open market this winter, but it feels like we could see a flurry of free agent signings within the next week or two. After all, pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to spring camp in just 19 days.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)