Jan 26, 2010, 9:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reports that the Rays are also keen on Hudson and might be willing to move Ben Zobrist to right field in order to accommodate him.
7:03pm: MLB.com’s Bill Ladson heard from a baseball source Tuesday that the Nationals “have a good chance of signing” free agent second baseman Orlando Hudson.
“There is good progress going on every day,” Hudson told MLB.com. “I will sign
soon enough. You can put it on the Internet and on TV. I’m going to
sign. I can’t say exactly when. It will not be long. I can’t say if it’s
with the Nationals, San Diego or Cleveland. I can’t say with whom.
Something is getting done.”
The “O-Dog” hit .283/.357/.417 with nine home runs, 62 RBI and eight stolen bases in 551 at-bats for the Dodgers last season. He’s found little interest on the open market this winter, but it feels like we could see a flurry of free agent signings within the next week or two. After all, pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to spring camp in just 19 days.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 17
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 4
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 62
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games