News Flash: Charlie Manuel would like to have had Cliff Lee in the rotation

Jan 26, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT

Cholly on the Cliff Lee trade:

“Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball right now. Lee is a tad
behind him. Of course it would’ve been nice to have both of them. It’d be good to have Halladay, Lee, Hamels. I’d be looking good. I might even be buying more expensive
furniture than the Mrs. has been buying me lately.”

“The Mrs.”  Though I can’t stand the Phillies, I really love Manuel. Partially because he’s a West Virgina boy, but mostly because every time he talks I get the sense that he’s been sent here from the mid 20th Century to teach us all to just chill out and to speak and act more plainly. There’s a reason this Onion piece was so damn funny. It’s really hard to explain in words.  Anyway, Manuel goes on:

“Baseball is a business and I understand a lot of things. I have my own opinion and suggestions, but like everybody else I have
a boss. From a business standpoint, the last two or three years they’ve
definitely made good decisions. I trust them.”

I suppose it’d be much more interesting if If I’m Manuel had talked about how much better the team is without Cliff Lee — “that sonofabitch, good riddance!” — but I’ll accept this story too. I’d want Lee around if I was Charlie Manuel. I’d want Felix Hernandez, Tim Lincecum and a nice frosty Ballantine’s ale, a new pair of Florsheims and some Burma Shave too, I imagine.  That’s just the kind of guy Manuel is.

1. Alex Poterack - Jan 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM

If I were Cholly
    I’d let ‘em all see
    I wish my boss
    Were named Jack Z
    Burma Shave
    /just spent five minutes trying to rhyme “Zduriencik” and decided to take the easy way out

2. monkeyball - Jan 26, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Son of a bitch! Goddamn Florsheim shoe!

3. Augie - Jan 26, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Charlie was born in W. Va., but he grew up in Virginia. His home is Buena Vista, which everybody around there pronounces “Byoona Vista.” In high school I rode down there in a bus to cheer on my town’s basketball team. They got stomped. Nevertheless, the Byoona Vista guys surrounded our bus, challenged us out to fight, and tried to turn the bus over. That was Byoona Vista. Charlie’s a real nice guy, but he will beat you.

4. Omega in Colorado - Jan 26, 2010 at 8:43 PM

If the Phillies had kept Lee and signed Halladay, I would have sold all my stuff and moved to Philly and became a loyal fan.
    Ok, not really, but it would have been exciting as hell watching that one-two punch tearing apart the NL.

5. Old Gator - Jan 26, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Anyone for a horsemeat and velveeta sandwich? Craig?

6. hop - Jan 26, 2010 at 10:40 PM

He’s gonna really wish he had Lee when Holiday lands on the DL

7. Jonny5 - Jan 26, 2010 at 11:02 PM

There is probably a law against having Lee and Halladay on the same team……. It’s bad enough they have Utley, Howard, Werth, ibanez,Victorino, and Bobble head Polanco. It would be like the Yankees if they kept Lee too.

8. madhatters - Jan 27, 2010 at 9:39 AM

“Though I can’t stand the Phillies” … Was that at all necessary?
    I’m looking at the rosters and starting to think that the Mets might end up in the NL East cellar. Granted the Braves and Nats are in some sort of re-building, and the Marlins are always a garage sale away from the pits. Right now there seems to be more potential on each and every NL East team than the Mets.

9. Steve C - Jan 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM

There is nothing wrong with a nice pair of Florsheims.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5139)