Jan 26, 2010, 7:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal has the financial details: Garland will earn $4.7MM in 2010 and can earn $6.75MM on a mutual option for 2011. The option has a $600,000 buyout.
5:25pm: Padres president Tom Garfinkel said Tuesday that the Padres have signed free agent Jon Garland. The terms of the deal were not available.
It’s a surprising move from an organization that seemed unlikely to spend the money to add a significant free agent this winter. Garland was certainly seeking to match or exceed the $7.25 million guarantee he received from the Diamondbacks last winter. The 30-year-old right-hander will continue his tour of the NL West after going11-13 with a 4.01 ERA for Arizona and the Dodgers.
Garland joins a rotation set to include Kevin Correia and Chris Young, if healthy. Clayton Richard has the clear edge on another spot, so there might be just one opening available for top youngster Mat Latos, Sean Gallagher and Tim Stauffer.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)