Jan 26, 2010, 7:30 PM EST
The Denver Post’s Troy Renck hears that the Rockies are still monitoring Melvin Mora in their ongoing search for a utility infielder.
“Melvin likes it there. He’s definitely interested,” said agent Eric
Goldschmidt, on the possibility of his client heading to Colorado.
And who wouldn’t love playing in Coors Field? Mora, 37, batted .260/.321/.358 last season with just 28 extra-base hits in 484 plate appearances. It was a miserable year offensively, but the Rockies like that he is right-handed and can spell Ian Stewart at third base if necessary. With mutual interest, contract discussions should run rather smoothly, and Renck writes that a decision is expected sometime within the next week.
For what it’s worth, the Cardinals and Angels have also contacted Mora’s agent at different points this winter.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 12
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 40
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15