Jan 26, 2010, 7:30 PM EST
The Denver Post’s Troy Renck hears that the Rockies are still monitoring Melvin Mora in their ongoing search for a utility infielder.
“Melvin likes it there. He’s definitely interested,” said agent Eric
Goldschmidt, on the possibility of his client heading to Colorado.
And who wouldn’t love playing in Coors Field? Mora, 37, batted .260/.321/.358 last season with just 28 extra-base hits in 484 plate appearances. It was a miserable year offensively, but the Rockies like that he is right-handed and can spell Ian Stewart at third base if necessary. With mutual interest, contract discussions should run rather smoothly, and Renck writes that a decision is expected sometime within the next week.
For what it’s worth, the Cardinals and Angels have also contacted Mora’s agent at different points this winter.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)