Jan 26, 2010, 1:06 PM EDT
Free agent right-hander Ben Sheets has signed with the A’s, CBS Sports.com has learned.
Sheets agreed to terms on a one-year deal for more than $8 million. He
passed a physical today, and the deal is expected to be announced this
Original Big Three networks represent (R.I.P. DuMont).
Sheets is a great pickup for the A’s,
especially at $8 million (Note: see below; it may have been $10 million). If he pitches well and everything comes together, the A’s can compete. If he pitches well and not everything comes together, he can be dealt for value to a contender at the deadline. If he’s healthy, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him be just as good as John Lackey this year.
And if he has a setback? Well, the A’s weren’t going to do much without him, so not much is lost except a bit of money the A’s had apparently budgeted anyway.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)