Jan 26, 2010, 1:06 PM EDT
Free agent right-hander Ben Sheets has signed with the A’s, CBS Sports.com has learned.
Sheets agreed to terms on a one-year deal for more than $8 million. He
passed a physical today, and the deal is expected to be announced this
Original Big Three networks represent (R.I.P. DuMont).
Sheets is a great pickup for the A’s,
especially at $8 million (Note: see below; it may have been $10 million). If he pitches well and everything comes together, the A’s can compete. If he pitches well and not everything comes together, he can be dealt for value to a contender at the deadline. If he’s healthy, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him be just as good as John Lackey this year.
And if he has a setback? Well, the A’s weren’t going to do much without him, so not much is lost except a bit of money the A’s had apparently budgeted anyway.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 10
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 39
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)