Jan 26, 2010, 1:06 PM EDT
Free agent right-hander Ben Sheets has signed with the A’s, CBS Sports.com has learned.
Sheets agreed to terms on a one-year deal for more than $8 million. He
passed a physical today, and the deal is expected to be announced this
Original Big Three networks represent (R.I.P. DuMont).
Sheets is a great pickup for the A’s,
especially at $8 million (Note: see below; it may have been $10 million). If he pitches well and everything comes together, the A’s can compete. If he pitches well and not everything comes together, he can be dealt for value to a contender at the deadline. If he’s healthy, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him be just as good as John Lackey this year.
And if he has a setback? Well, the A’s weren’t going to do much without him, so not much is lost except a bit of money the A’s had apparently budgeted anyway.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32