Jan 26, 2010, 1:06 PM EDT
Free agent right-hander Ben Sheets has signed with the A’s, CBS Sports.com has learned.
Sheets agreed to terms on a one-year deal for more than $8 million. He
passed a physical today, and the deal is expected to be announced this
Original Big Three networks represent (R.I.P. DuMont).
Sheets is a great pickup for the A’s,
especially at $8 million (Note: see below; it may have been $10 million). If he pitches well and everything comes together, the A’s can compete. If he pitches well and not everything comes together, he can be dealt for value to a contender at the deadline. If he’s healthy, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him be just as good as John Lackey this year.
And if he has a setback? Well, the A’s weren’t going to do much without him, so not much is lost except a bit of money the A’s had apparently budgeted anyway.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (155)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)