Jan 26, 2010, 1:06 PM EDT
Free agent right-hander Ben Sheets has signed with the A’s, CBS Sports.com has learned.
Sheets agreed to terms on a one-year deal for more than $8 million. He
passed a physical today, and the deal is expected to be announced this
Original Big Three networks represent (R.I.P. DuMont).
Sheets is a great pickup for the A’s,
especially at $8 million (Note: see below; it may have been $10 million). If he pitches well and everything comes together, the A’s can compete. If he pitches well and not everything comes together, he can be dealt for value to a contender at the deadline. If he’s healthy, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him be just as good as John Lackey this year.
And if he has a setback? Well, the A’s weren’t going to do much without him, so not much is lost except a bit of money the A’s had apparently budgeted anyway.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona