Jan 26, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
So tweets Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times. He’ll earn a base salary of $850k and there’s a mutual option for 2011.
Ausmus actually had a decent year with the stick by his standards in 2009, although it was in exceedingly limited play (.295/.343/.368 in 107 plate appearances). Before that, you’re looking at basically a solid decade of awful production, a good year or two back in the late 90s, and then a lot more nothin’ before that.
But as I noted last month, Ausmus, despite his extreme limitations at the plate, always manages to find a job. A lot of that has been because of his defense, but in more recent years I have no doubt that it’s because of his work ethic. He has giant binders
on hitters’ tendencies and studies them all the time, and by all accounts, he’s the one of the most prepared and focused players in the game and spends tons of time teaching and helping his teammates. In this way he’s a good clubhouse guy, not because of some vague chemistry consideration like so many others who get that label, because he’s really valuable to have in the clubhouse for legitimately tangible reasons.
So sure, he may be 41 and he may not hit my daughter’s weight, but there are probably worse guys to have occupy the 25th spot on the roster.
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 17
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)