Jan 26, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
So tweets Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times. He’ll earn a base salary of $850k and there’s a mutual option for 2011.
Ausmus actually had a decent year with the stick by his standards in 2009, although it was in exceedingly limited play (.295/.343/.368 in 107 plate appearances). Before that, you’re looking at basically a solid decade of awful production, a good year or two back in the late 90s, and then a lot more nothin’ before that.
But as I noted last month, Ausmus, despite his extreme limitations at the plate, always manages to find a job. A lot of that has been because of his defense, but in more recent years I have no doubt that it’s because of his work ethic. He has giant binders
on hitters’ tendencies and studies them all the time, and by all accounts, he’s the one of the most prepared and focused players in the game and spends tons of time teaching and helping his teammates. In this way he’s a good clubhouse guy, not because of some vague chemistry consideration like so many others who get that label, because he’s really valuable to have in the clubhouse for legitimately tangible reasons.
So sure, he may be 41 and he may not hit my daughter’s weight, but there are probably worse guys to have occupy the 25th spot on the roster.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)