Jan 26, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
A few weeks ago it was reported that the Mets were interested in John Smoltz for the rotation. The interest hasn’t flagged, apparently, as the Daily News says this morning that “the Mets have been particularly active in dialogue” with Smotlz. That’s a fancy way of saying they’re talking. Smoltz had previously been linked to the Phillies — who reportedly wanted him to come out of the pen — and the Nats.
Not sure what’s taking so long with Smoltz. A guy who went 2-5 with an 8.32 ERA in eight starts in the AL and then 1-3 with a 4.26 ERA in seven starts in the NL shouldn’t exactly present a complicated negotiation. “Here’s your one-year, $3 million + incentives contract. Take it or leave it.” If he comes back with a counter and you really like the cut of his jib, sure you settle at $4 million, which is less than Vicente Padilla will make next year.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 0
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)