Jan 26, 2010, 8:30 AM EST
A few weeks ago it was reported that the Mets were interested in John Smoltz for the rotation. The interest hasn’t flagged, apparently, as the Daily News says this morning that “the Mets have been particularly active in dialogue” with Smotlz. That’s a fancy way of saying they’re talking. Smoltz had previously been linked to the Phillies — who reportedly wanted him to come out of the pen — and the Nats.
Not sure what’s taking so long with Smoltz. A guy who went 2-5 with an 8.32 ERA in eight starts in the AL and then 1-3 with a 4.26 ERA in seven starts in the NL shouldn’t exactly present a complicated negotiation. “Here’s your one-year, $3 million + incentives contract. Take it or leave it.” If he comes back with a counter and you really like the cut of his jib, sure you settle at $4 million, which is less than Vicente Padilla will make next year.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 170
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (172)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)