Jan 26, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
A few weeks ago it was reported that the Mets were interested in John Smoltz for the rotation. The interest hasn’t flagged, apparently, as the Daily News says this morning that “the Mets have been particularly active in dialogue” with Smotlz. That’s a fancy way of saying they’re talking. Smoltz had previously been linked to the Phillies — who reportedly wanted him to come out of the pen — and the Nats.
Not sure what’s taking so long with Smoltz. A guy who went 2-5 with an 8.32 ERA in eight starts in the AL and then 1-3 with a 4.26 ERA in seven starts in the NL shouldn’t exactly present a complicated negotiation. “Here’s your one-year, $3 million + incentives contract. Take it or leave it.” If he comes back with a counter and you really like the cut of his jib, sure you settle at $4 million, which is less than Vicente Padilla will make next year.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)