Twins ink Jim Thome to one-year contract

Jan 26, 2010, 6:22 PM EST

thome smiling.JPGAccording to Kelsie Smith of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Twins have inked Jim Thome to a one-year contract.  LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune is reporting that the deal is worth $1.5 million with another $700,000 available through performance-based incentives.

Thome, who turns 40 near the end of the 2010 season, hit .249/.366/.481 with 23 home runs and 77 RBI last year in 362 at-bats between the White Sox and Dodgers.  He will struggle to find playing time in Minnesota but he brings a significant amount of pop to a Twins bench that lacked just that last season.  CTB’s own Aaron Gleeman broke down the big man’s potential value in a post last week.

If manager Ron Gardenhire really wants to get creative this year, he can slide usual designated hitter Jason Kubel out to left field and use Thome as the DH against some right-handed pitchers.  Delmon Young would then be benched.  Whatever the scenario, there’s no doubting that the Twins just got a little bit better, and for a relatively low cost.

1. Evan - Jan 26, 2010 at 6:32 PM

A good price for him.

2. Christian the Mormon - Jan 26, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Does anyone else see Thome and Michael Cuddyer as possibly the best pair of teammates in history? They look alike. They both have that corny mid-western hayseed act going. Just sayin’…

3. john pileggi - Jan 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Twins, Marlins, Rays. All do a great job managing to prosper in spite of fiscal limitations. Add A’s back to that list as well this year.

4. Keith Arnold - Jan 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Maybe he can play second or third base? Oh, wait… the Twins have Nick Punto and Brendan Harris, they’re cool.

5. Scott Murray - Jan 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Nice move. I think the Twins have plenty of left-handed bats now…

6. JasonC23 - Jan 26, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I hope he mashes a few taters against the White Sox.
    And I’m a White Sox fan.
    Congrats on the craptastic rotating DH, Ozzie.

7. Kendall - Jan 26, 2010 at 8:39 PM

This move only makes sense to me if Thome takes away at bats from Delmon Young. If Gardenhire all of a sudden starts thinking that Jason Kubel can’t hit (like Gardenhire has for most of Kubel’s career), and Thome starts taking at bats away from Kubel, things are going to get ugly.

8. Dave - Jan 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Jason,
    I agree with you! I’m a White Sox fan and season ticket holder.

9. dennis - Jan 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM

time to just hang up your spikes and enjoy your fine past, as a good player

10. guaif - Jan 26, 2010 at 11:38 PM

i’m in pain every time i see Thome circle the bases. i’d be surprised if he get 200 at bats and hits above 225 with 10 home runs.

11. Tom in K.C. - Jan 27, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Why didn’t the Royals do this. They continue signing leftovers and not improving the team.

12. Denise - Jan 27, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Once again we can thank Kenny and Ozzie for their lack of vision and HORRIBLE planning..can anyone tell me why they would not pay THOME 1 million dollars to come here and they pay RIOS MUCH MORE MONEY THAN HE IS WORTH. I watched him last year and DYE played better outfeld than him..certainly anyone does. He was a total waste of money but just as with all WHITE SOX deals its all about what KENNY WANTS. I am a WHITE SOX fan and I am glad we got 2005 to remember… a great group of players who, in case someone needed to be reminded,are the ones who actually won the Series, not KENNY AND OZZIE. I never thought I would say this but I think I await for the day they are gone.Thome is a class act and certainly will have a place in baseball that these 2 can only dream of.This White Sox year is set out to be a disappointment.

13. Jeff Jefferson - Jan 27, 2010 at 11:13 AM

It would have been nice if Thome could have found his way back to Cleveland for a last hooray. We sure miss his bat and his class.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5199)
  2. M. Kemp (3582)
  3. J. Upton (2873)
  4. J. Kang (2869)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2760)
  1. C. McGehee (2760)