Wandy Rodriguez can't lose

Jan 26, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT

FSN-Houston’s Greg Lucas on Wandy Rodriguez’s upcoming arbitration with the Astros:

Rodriguez doesn’t lose no matter what
the decision is. He made about $2.6 million in 2010. No wonder an awful lot of
baseball owners rue the day they agreed to arbitration to settle contract
disputes. The players always win. The owners offer raises-in Wandy’s case almost
doubling his salary–but may have to pay even more if the arbitrator rules
such.

The scoreboard may show the owners “winning” a decent percentage of
the actual arbitrator’s decisions, but they still pay out more money than they
had the year before.

Darn employees wanting raises! Why I, Greg Lucas, have made the same salary since the day I was hired to grease the Linotype machines with whale fat at the gone but not forgotten Houston Press-Picayune-Tattler back in Nineteen-dickety-six!

1. gumbercules - Jan 26, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Wandy Rodriguez is one of those guys who, I’m forced to assume, pitches every single Astros game. I’ve been to MM Park 3 times, and Rodriguez has started all three. Every time I turn on an Astros game on the teevee, he’s pitching. Do you have any guys like that?

2. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Actually, I do: Wandy Rodriguez. Last year it seemed like he pitched in every Houston game I recapped in my “And That Happened” feature.

3. RobRob - Jan 26, 2010 at 11:56 AM

This article is THE most tired, trite, cynical story meme ever invented by sports writers. If anyone rues the day the owners agreed to salary arbitration, it should be those of us who are subjected to reading these brain-dead articles every January.
    It would be interesting to see how things would play out if the MLBPA agreed to eliminate arbitration in return for eliminating the six-year wait for free agency.

4. gumbercules - Jan 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Well that’s odd. Let’s hope, for his sake, he never gets traded to Cincy. Dusty Baker may take this literally.

5. ecp - Jan 26, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Ok, sure, it’s a no-brainer that employees want raises…but I’d sure like to have MY salary doubled. I found out just yesterday that the highest raise I can expect this year is 2.5%.

6. KR - Jan 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM

ecp: Well, we’ve just established that Wandy Rodriguez pitches every Houston game, so he’s pretty valuable to the team. Probably deserves a big raise.

7. Jamie - Jan 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM

You’d probably get a little more of a bump if there were only ~150 people in the world who could do your job, and you had a union that could shut down the entire industry if they wanted to. If both those things apply to you, you should go back to the bargaining table and ask for 3.5% and a dental plan.

8. jwb - Jan 26, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I’m sure that the MLBPA would agree to do away with salary arbitration and have players be free agents after 3 years (plus super twos) of service time.

9. ecp - Jan 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Well, I DID get 3.5% last year. Darn company is blaming the economy for the reduction this year.
    Oh, and I already have a dental plan.

10. Marlana Bareford - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM

It appears that you have placed a lot of effort into your article and I require more of these on the net these days. I sincerely got a kick out of your post. I don’t really have much to say in response, I only wanted to comment to reply wonderful work.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3276)