Andre Dawson is not taking the cap thing well

Jan 27, 2010, 2:55 PM EDT

Expos Cap.jpgIxnay, Andre, or else we’re all going to have to take back that stuff about how classy and professional you are:

“The Hall clearly stated their major concern is the history of the
game, and that’s what really played into their decision,” Dawson said.
“I’m disappointed. I can probably say that, because Chicago was my
preference.

“I received a letter prior to the voting, and it was
my understanding they would make the determination [after] sitting down
and discussing it . . . And I just thought it would carry a little more
weight than it did.”

Dawson was asked if he might put on a Cubs hat during his induction speech.

“To be honest with you, I thought about that,” he said. “It was a tough night for me sleeping [Tuesday].

Dawson says he’s not going to show anyone up at the induction or anything, and I take him at his word, but really, this needs to stop.  His beef with the Expos revolves around some stupid business decisions that were made nearly 25 years ago, the authors of which are now long gone.  Meanwhile, there are thousands of Expos fans who had their franchise ripped away from them to whom Dawson’s induction as an Expo means the world.

Your battle with the Expos is over, Andre. You won. Feel free to acknowledge your time with the Cubs any way you’d like, but in doing so, try not to disappoint the Expos fans who, quite frankly, need you more.

1. lar @ wezen-ball - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Don’t forget the very real monetary value that Andre must feel like he’s losing by being inducted in as an Expo. Appearance fees, Chicago Cubs events, etc. all have to be considered with this. I suspect this might be the biggest reason Andre is disappointed (but, yeah, he really needs to shut up quickly about it).

2. YX - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Dawson could always show up as the only Expo HoF rep at an ASG wearing a Cubs cap.
    At least there won’t be any tough night for Clemens.

3. Andy H. - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:32 PM

“Don’t forget the very real monetary value that Andre must feel like he’s losing by being inducted in as an Expo.”
    Good point – would you rather be in the HOF as a member of one of the most famous franchises in baseball, or of a team that doesn’t exist anymore?

4. Mark - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Just my two cents, but if a guy is great enough to make it to the hall of fame in the first place, wouldn’t it be a nice gesture to let HIM decide which team he will be connected with for the remainder of his bronze days in Cooperstown? I am a huge fan and personally consider him a Cub player first and foremost, even if his tenure with the Expos was longer. Regardless, a player like Dawson still needs to get a hat tipped his way, no matter what logo is on the front.

5. Mark - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM

6. Chuck - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I’d sooner gouge my eyes out with a rusty screwdriver than go in the HOF with an Expos cap on, can’t blame the Hawk one bit for this and think he is handling it professionally.

7. YX - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Well, then someone would sell the cap to some team which he played about 150 games on. Looking at you, Boggs.

8. YX - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM

As long as they don’t sell the cap right to some team they played about 150 games on for beer money. (Looking at you, Boggs)

9. Mark - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I don’t think the player should be allowed to decide what that they wear. They are not bigger than the game or the hall and I think the cap their plaque displays should be an accurate reflection of where they enjoyed the most success. Clearly that is Montreal for Dawson although his case is not as clear cut as others. Should Greg Maddux go in as a Dodger? Babe Ruth as a Boston Brave? Hank Aaron as a Brewer? Willie Mays as a Met?

10. Gelardia - Jan 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Um Craig? I didn’t see anything in that report that made Andre look unclassy and unprofessional. To be honest, considering any beef he has with the Expos, I think his comments were extremely classy and respectful to his fans in Montreal.

11. Bob - Jan 27, 2010 at 4:29 PM

if there were really “thousands” of Expos fans, maybe the team wouldn’t have been “ripped away” from them…

12. Josh - Jan 27, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Yeah, exactly: the Expos organization was run crappily, by a bunch of world-class jerks, and they treated one of their best players like he was beneath contempt. The heck with the Expos. There’s a reason the franchise was taken away. The reason is that it was a massive, insulting failure. Sorry Expos fans, you deserved better. But so did Dawson. Get off his back, Craig.

13. Jonah Keri - Jan 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM

@Josh: Oh, please. EVERY team in baseball colluded in the mid-80s. The Expos just happened to do their part in the baseball-wide scheme at the exact time that two of the decade’s best players, Tim Raines and Andre Dawson, became free agents.
    The comments about Dawson feeling like he’d be missing out on Cubs-related money were spot on. Don’t blame him one bit for his Cubs stance, given the money issue and also that a player who’s been wronged is not going to parse an issue like collusion as objectively as an impartial observer would.
    The Hall, which should and does consider players’ and teams’ place in baseball history above all other factors, still made the right choice.

14. doorbell button - Jan 28, 2010 at 2:43 PM

You made a fair point, but have you thought about how it may affect different people? I do not say you are wrong, I just want to indicate that there’s more than one side to this story.

15. expos94champs - Jan 29, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Dawson should go in as an Expos. He had some great years as a Cub but its based on a career. Should Rickey have gone in as a yankee ? the Goose as a member of the Chisox ? Eckersley won 20 with the Bosox. The list goes on and on.
    The real questions are what hats will Raines, Walker, Pedro & Vlad wear on their trip to upstate New York ?

All the trade deadline news to know