Jan 27, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
About that Ron Belliard deal?Yes, it’s for $825,000, and yes, the Dodgers are likely counting on Belliard to win the second base job, but according to Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times, it’s not guaranteed. But it can be: All Belliard has to do is to weigh in at 209 or less at some point during spring training.
Why 209? Because that’s what the Dodgers say he weighed at the end of last year when he was really effective. If that’s what he weighed a mere three months ago, it seems fair enough to me that he be expected to get there sometime within the next two months.
What would be unfair? Expecting him to weigh 180, which is what Baseball-Reference, the Nats’ media guide from last year and presumably his driver’s license and all of his baseball cards say. I’m guessing he hasn’t been within donut-sniffing distance of 180 since Clinton’s first term.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12