Jan 27, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
About that Ron Belliard deal?Yes, it’s for $825,000, and yes, the Dodgers are likely counting on Belliard to win the second base job, but according to Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times, it’s not guaranteed. But it can be: All Belliard has to do is to weigh in at 209 or less at some point during spring training.
Why 209? Because that’s what the Dodgers say he weighed at the end of last year when he was really effective. If that’s what he weighed a mere three months ago, it seems fair enough to me that he be expected to get there sometime within the next two months.
What would be unfair? Expecting him to weigh 180, which is what Baseball-Reference, the Nats’ media guide from last year and presumably his driver’s license and all of his baseball cards say. I’m guessing he hasn’t been within donut-sniffing distance of 180 since Clinton’s first term.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27