Is Ryan Howard more powerful than Derek Jeter?

Jan 27, 2010, 1:21 PM EDT

I don’t mean which of those two can bench the most, I’m talking about power defined in terms of influence, appeal, marketability and money. Which of them can most easily impose their whims on we mere mortals and most expect us to do their bidding?

Well neither of them can, but the people who write BusinessWeek Magazine enjoy ranking people as if they can, and today they’ve announced their “Power 100″ athlete list.  Topping the list is Tiger Woods, which means that they complied this thing before Thanksgiving.

But what about baseball players?  I was rather surprised to learn that Albert Pujols is the top ballplayer. I mean, he’s awesome and all, but he doesn’t exactly dominate the national zeitgeist in any appreciable way.  Derek Jeter does, yet he somehow falls behind Pujols, Ryan Howard, Joe Mauer and CC Sabathia (and Usain Bolt, Shaq and Jeff Gordon and some other questionable choices for that matter). Sure, they say that their methodology took on-the-field performance and things like marketability into account, but unless Subway Commercials get a multiplier of, like, a thousand, I’m having trouble seeing how guys like Howard outstrip Jetes no matter how you calculate it all.

Or — and sit down for this, because it may shock you — the people at BusinessWeek could have pulled this list entirely out of their rectums in an effort to get people to click through each of the 100 individual pages each athlete gets.

Nah. That would never happen.

1. Motherscratcher - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:38 PM

I’d buy C.C. being more powerful than Jeter but they got the wrong C.C.
    It should be C.C. Alcaterra.
    See what I did there?

2. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Clever boy.

3. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Maybe the people who conducted this for
    Businessweek are using Steroids, you never know.

4. Jonny5 - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I was going to say”It must be the long ball”, But Mauer is in front of Jeter………… Maybe the author didn’t like Jetes Charlie Brown like head????
    Or maybe it’s the fact that Howard had 45 Home runs Jeter had 18. Howard had 141 RBI’s Jeter had 66. And even though Jeter has a heck of a Tex behind him He had only 2 more runs scored than Howard….. To answer your question Howard kinda whoops Jeter in that aspect Craig… You know, runs and RBI’s win games…..

5. ecp - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Well, the article DOES say, “Based on CSE’s data, Woods’ Power 100 ranking would have been No. 1 even if the rumors of his infidelity had surfaced earlier last year,” so it appears that the list was not compiled that long ago.
    I guess it depends on your definition of power (and it may also be a function of the part of the country in which I live), but I virtually never see Jeter in advertising. I am, however, thoroughly sick of Cole Hamels (and I live nowhere near Philly).

6. Aaron - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Did you read the blog ? I’m pretty sure he’s talking about marketability.

7. Jonny5 - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:00 PM

“power defined in terms of influence, appeal, marketability and money.”
    Gotcha…… I’m a notorious speed reading skimmer…..
    Well in that case, maybe the list was backwards…… LOL!!!!

8. Simon DelMonte - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:04 PM

OK, here’s a question: how many national ads does Jeter appear in? I see him plenty, but I live in NYC, so my view is skewed.
    I will note, though, that I think I’ve seen more local ads with Eli Manning (which reflects Eli being at #18 here). Jeter is the biggest sports star in NYC hands down, but Eli seems to be more marketable. I would suggest that maybe being on a team that inspires more hate than love on a national level matters, but why would CC be ahead of Jeter?

9. YANKEES1996 - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM

As if any of this crap really matters, ever go to think that the reason these guys are ahead of The Captain is because they are the younger guard of baseball.
    I will tell you this though Jonny all those stats you laid out for Howard, keep’em, you will not see a player anytime soon that is as clutch as “number 2 for Yankees now hitting Derek Jeter” in the immortal golden words of Mr.Bob Sheppard, and if you don’t believe me rewatch the 2009 World Series. Ryan Howard and some of those other names would be lucky to have half the career and marketability of Jeter, they couldn’t carry Jeters’ equipment bag on their best day!

10. Jonny5 - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM

“I will tell you this though Jonny all those stats you laid out for Howard, keep’em, you will not see a player anytime soon that is as clutch as “number 2 for Yankees now hitting Derek Jeter”
    Actually Jeter had only one RBI in the series there buddy, Howard had 2. Yes his avg was much better, but the results of the hits equal Howard was more “clutch” :>P Let’s not even bring up Utley.. The real true clutch player the Yankees had in the series got let go. LMAO!!!!

11. YANKEES1996 - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:03 PM

The Yankees won that World Series because of team effort, good hitting, great pitching and good defense. Jeter hit .407 in World Series and his World Series average now sits at .321. Ryan Howard is however the strikeout king of the World Series however. Matsui was voted the WS MVP but make no mistake there were several Yankees that should have won that award.

12. YankeeStat - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:20 PM

World Series Stats
    Games AVG/OBP/SLG RINGS
    HOWARD 11 .227/.306/.568 1
    JETER 32 .315/.373/.446 5
    You can keep Howard!
    Mr Clutch Derek Jeter is Definitely HOF first ballot…Howard….Time will tell

13. topcatNYNY - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Derek Jeter is the Lou Gerig of our time. His marketability will last way past his playing career, similar to Yogi Berra, Phil Risuto, Joe Namath, you get the idea; When he gets inducted into the HOF, they better have the ceremony at Yankee Stadium because Cooperstown will not be able to handle the crowd. If Tiger Woods was number one, then DJ should have been number two on BW’s list. More likely, if the list was conducted today, you can flip that order.

14. DiamondDuq - Jan 27, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Did anyone ever think, like everything else in the media, controversy sells! That’s all this is. If the list came out and was what any normal person would consider “correct” then we’d look at it, say “that’s nice” and move on. This way BusinessWeek gets to stay relevant a little bit longer. That being said, Jeter clearly belongs in at least the top 10 and probably closer to the top 5 and certainly the highest ranked player in MLB.

15. Jonny5 - Jan 27, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Yankee fans,LMAO!! I love ruffling your feathers. Take it easy guys. I know Howards strengths and weaknesses… All I have to say is runs win games, RBI’s win games. Avg helps, but doesn’t win em for ya when you depend on others to drive you home….

16. Jacob - Jan 27, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Was Ryan Howard ever in a commercial with Harvey Keitel? The prosecution rests.

17. Ben - Jan 27, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Who cares what Business Week wrote? Does it matter if Tiger is #1 or #100? The story has as much importance as did it rain in Timbucktoo last week.
    Amazing how many people can debate which athlete influences anyone.

All the trade deadline news to know