Keith Law ranks the farm systems

Jan 27, 2010, 3:23 PM EDT

After Jane Austen and Alton Brown’s birthdays, today and tomorrow are the two biggest days in all of Keith Lawdom.  Tomorrow it’s his top 100 prospects. Today: ranking the farm systems.  The features are for ESPN Insider members only, but in all honesty, these are two of the features that make getting an Insider subscription worthwhile. If you care a lick about player development, you’ll be going back to them over and over.

Anyway, the systems:  Texas leads the pack for the second year in a row. Frankly, seeing them so high again makes me feel a bit better, as I harbored a secret fear that last year’s top ranking was totally attributable to Frank Wren overpaying for Mark Teixeira a couple of years ago.

Other notables: Boston is second, my Braves are fifth, with Law giving me happy feelings about a potential shutdown rotation come, oh, 2013 or so.  The Cubs are seventh. The Royals are ninth, which pleasantly surprised me because I still remember a time when the Royals were considered the class organization in the American League, and though I don’t root for them, I liked the world back then.

The Mets are at 15, which may be as close to the middle of the pack they get in any category this year.  The Dodgers are at 19. The Yankees are at 25, but it’s not like they depend on the farm system all that much. And heck, if they’re unhappy with their rating maybe they can just buy Law himself and find themselves much higher next year.  The Cardinals and White Sox come in at 29th and 30th, respectively.

As is always the case with these sorts of lists, the comments are more useful than the rankings themselves, so if you are able, I recommend giving the piece a read.

1. cmote - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Frank Wren didn’t overypay for Mark Teixiera, John Schurholtz made that trade!

2. Benny Blanco - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:46 PM

C’mon Craig. Ceasefire on the Mets starts tomorrow then?

3. Matt - Jan 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM

“these are two of the features that make getting an Insider subscription worthwhile.”
    Um no, nothing does.
    Thanks for letting me know the Braves are 5th though!

4. RENE GONZALEZ - Jan 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM

NOLAN RYAN SAID YESTERDAY THAT IF THE RANGERS DO NOT WIN THE DIVISION HE’D BE VERY DISSAPOINTED!!!

5. ecp - Jan 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Dayton Moore is actually doing something right. It’s just that it’s not at the major league level, so nobody realizes it.
    I can never tell about ESPN’s Insider content because sometimes I can click right through with no problem on stories that supposedly require the subscription – like this one, for example.

6. Alex Poterack - Jan 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM

A combined Jane Austen/Alton Brown holiday sounds like it would be awesome…

7. mpls - Jan 27, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Twins please?

8. (Not That) Tom - Jan 27, 2010 at 4:36 PM

That may be the best Jane Austen mashup since “Sense and Sensibilities and Sea Monsters”.

9. Joey B - Jan 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM

That makes for a very good day for the RS fans. Personally, I don’t quite see it, since I’m having trouble seeing any help this year, and maybe next. But I’ll take it.

10. Joey B - Jan 27, 2010 at 8:31 PM

“Sorry, a multi-billion dollar company like ESPN doesn’t need to hide its best writers and content behind a pay wall just so they can have money to pay for Rick Reilly’s contract.”
    Just so I don’t misunderstand your position here, you expect ESPN to pay Keith Law good money for his opinions, and then supply it to you for free?

11. Carroll Merriman - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Oh my god you will not belief that. Our mindless puppy simply farted on my arm!? I mean what is the problem with that!? I care for that thing and I end up with this in exchange. I even now can not belief this. After all, you have a few useful facts there in your post. I knew Google are going to bring me to a few interesting stuff today :). Okay should search for that animal now! Have a nice time you all!

12. Lyn Reker - Feb 17, 2010 at 4:42 AM

If you could further expound on the premise of your article, it would be greatly appreciated.

13. amazon thunder acai berry juice - Mar 2, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

14. can I buy amazon thunder acai berry products - Mar 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

15. how to order amazon thunder acai berry - Mar 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Very good post but difficult to understand cause I’m spanish speaker ;-)

16. is amazon thunder acai berry at target - Mar 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Pretty cool post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really liked browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

17. amazon thunder acai berry - Mar 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM

I must say, I could not agree with you in 100%, but it’s just my opinion, which indeed could be wrong.

18. amazon thunder acai berry coupons - Mar 3, 2010 at 1:08 AM

great ideas. I always follow your ideas and apply them.

19. amazon thunder acai berry capsules - Mar 3, 2010 at 1:08 AM

I appreciate you for maintaining such a useful portal. this blog was not just informative but also very inventive too. We come across a limited number of professionals who are capable of write not so easy articles that creatively. I are on the lookout for articles about this subject. We ourselves searched in many blogs to come across knowledge with respect to this.I will keep coming back !!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto