Jan 27, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
The Nats’ third baseman on the radio a few minutes ago:
“There’s no way we’ll lose a hundred games again this year”
I can’t decide if this is a bold statement or not. On the one hand, yes, it’s a guarantee of sorts and we live in an uncertain world. A world in which the Nationals still stink, even if, generally speaking, they’re headed in the right direction. So sure, hats off to Zimmerman for sticking his neck out a bit.
On the other hand, there aren’t a ton of teams who have lost 100 games three years in a row. I may be missing one, but the Royals did it last between 2004 and 2006. The Blue Jays did it from 1977-79. The Mets and Senators each did it four straight times in the 60s. Before that you have to go back to the Pirates of the 50s, the utterly atrocious Phillies squads that did it five straight times in the late 30s and early 40s and then you’re back into ancient history.
So, relatively bold statement or merely a safe percentage play? I’m not quite sure actually. I could see the Nats tanking horribly just as easily as I can see them being kinda frisky.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)