Quote of the Day: Ryan Zimmerman

Jan 27, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT

The Nats’ third baseman on the radio a few minutes ago:

“There’s no way we’ll lose a hundred games again this year”

I can’t decide if this is a bold statement or not. On the one hand, yes, it’s a guarantee of sorts and we live in an uncertain world. A world in which the Nationals still stink, even if, generally speaking, they’re headed in the right direction. So sure, hats off to Zimmerman for sticking his neck out a bit.

On the other hand, there aren’t a ton of teams who have lost 100 games three years in a row. I may be missing one, but the Royals did it last between 2004 and 2006.  The Blue Jays did it from 1977-79. The Mets and Senators each did it four straight times in the 60s. Before that you have to go back to the Pirates of the 50s, the utterly atrocious Phillies squads that did it five straight times in the late 30s and early 40s and then you’re back into ancient history.

So, relatively bold statement or merely a safe percentage play? I’m not quite sure actually. I could see the Nats tanking horribly just as easily as I can see them being kinda frisky.

1. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Jan 27, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I suppose if you’re the type to not understand that the Nats underperformed their pythagorean projection in 2009 and have improved their bullpen significantly, it would seem a stretch to win four (4) more ballgames than last year.

2. Jonny5 - Jan 27, 2010 at 9:51 AM

The Nats were better last season than their record states. I fully expect them to be able to pull off a much better season in 2010, Unless they make the mistake of putting Dunn in the OF.

3. Todd Boss - Jan 27, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Calcaterra has a difficult time not viewing anything Nats-related in anything but the worst possible light. So this nit picking an idle comment from Zimmerman isn’t out of character.
    I fully expect the nats to come closer to winning 72 games than merely 62. With Riggleman at the helm last year they had a .440 winning percentage (71-91 full season pace). And that was with a bunch of rookie starters with 5+ eras and the worst bullpen (by some margin) in the majors. They’ve vastly improved that bullpen, they’ve acquired starters to replace the AAA-fodder guys we have now, they’ve shored up the catcher position (despite constant-harping on the Ivan Rodriguez signing) and they’re not done acquiring veterans to compete with the minor leaguers.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Jan 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Yeah, saying that a team that has lost 100 games two years in row could either (a) lose 100 again or; (b) could actually be better (and noting that they’re heading in the right direction) is totally nit-picking. I’m so unfair.

5. Old Gator - Jan 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I am pondering the logical structure of the statement, “The Gnats were better than their record states.” Is your contention that the actually won more games than “their record states”? I humbly submit to you, sir, that they were exactly as bad as “their record states.” Now the choice of how to view that badness is of course subjectively yours: was the Gnats’ glass two-thirds empty, or one-third full?
    By the way, here are a couple of ways that the Gnats could indeed lose a hundred games or more:
    Ryan Zimmerman fouls the first pitch he faces this season off his instep, fractures some metatarsals, and misses most of the season;
    A couple of frangible medial menisci, rotator cuffs and/or achilles tendons go >skrtttccchhhh

6. Bran Ram - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Zimmerman is right. This year, the cellar dwellars will either be the Marlins or the Mets. The Nationals have added some key pieces to their team, and Zimmerman is the best 3B in baseball not named A-Rod. Adding Pudge will help drastically on the young guys, learning from a future HOF. Their pitching is young, and although I don’t see Strausburg coming up until 60 man rosters are allowed, the future is bright.

7. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Craig is a Braves man, have you seen his zingers about Los Mets

8. moreflagsmorefun - Jan 27, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Alright 99 bottles of beer, I mean loses… BURP!

9. Dan - Jan 27, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I mean, frankly, I just love thinking of the Nats as “kinda frisky” instead of “really bad.”

Yet another WS run for the Giants