Jan 27, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
The Nats’ third baseman on the radio a few minutes ago:
“There’s no way we’ll lose a hundred games again this year”
I can’t decide if this is a bold statement or not. On the one hand, yes, it’s a guarantee of sorts and we live in an uncertain world. A world in which the Nationals still stink, even if, generally speaking, they’re headed in the right direction. So sure, hats off to Zimmerman for sticking his neck out a bit.
On the other hand, there aren’t a ton of teams who have lost 100 games three years in a row. I may be missing one, but the Royals did it last between 2004 and 2006. The Blue Jays did it from 1977-79. The Mets and Senators each did it four straight times in the 60s. Before that you have to go back to the Pirates of the 50s, the utterly atrocious Phillies squads that did it five straight times in the late 30s and early 40s and then you’re back into ancient history.
So, relatively bold statement or merely a safe percentage play? I’m not quite sure actually. I could see the Nats tanking horribly just as easily as I can see them being kinda frisky.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)