Jan 27, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
The Nats’ third baseman on the radio a few minutes ago:
“There’s no way we’ll lose a hundred games again this year”
I can’t decide if this is a bold statement or not. On the one hand, yes, it’s a guarantee of sorts and we live in an uncertain world. A world in which the Nationals still stink, even if, generally speaking, they’re headed in the right direction. So sure, hats off to Zimmerman for sticking his neck out a bit.
On the other hand, there aren’t a ton of teams who have lost 100 games three years in a row. I may be missing one, but the Royals did it last between 2004 and 2006. The Blue Jays did it from 1977-79. The Mets and Senators each did it four straight times in the 60s. Before that you have to go back to the Pirates of the 50s, the utterly atrocious Phillies squads that did it five straight times in the late 30s and early 40s and then you’re back into ancient history.
So, relatively bold statement or merely a safe percentage play? I’m not quite sure actually. I could see the Nats tanking horribly just as easily as I can see them being kinda frisky.
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 0
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 53
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 63
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)